Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

I have a Sony HVR-M15 vcr and the cassette light is on, power

Customer Question

I have a Sony HVR-M15 vcr and the cassette light is on, power is off. Initially a miniDV tape got stuck in the unit and my local electronics guy got the tape out. Ever since I can unplug and/or reset the unit and the power light will come on for a few seconds and then the cassette light comes on and the power light goes off. Any ideas as to the problem?
Category: Recorders and Players
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The vcr was working fine until the tape got stuck in it. Now all is does is show the "cassette indicator" light (on solid) and the power light is off! How can I fix it so it works again? I do have the operations and service manual.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi John,
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
This can happen if the system detects moisture in the head unit, or if the cassette is not inserted correctly.It may also indicate that the system needs to be reset - try pressing the samll Reset button using a pointed object and let me know if that works?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Pete,There is no cassette in the deck. As I mentioned the problem started with the cassette getting stuck. I took it to my local electronics guy and he got the cassette out but then this problem occurred (cassette indicator on solid and the power off). I have already tried the reset "button" at the back....the lights all turn off, then the power comes on for 5 to 10 seconds and then the power light goes off and the cassette indicator light goes on and stays on solid.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Do you know how the cassette was removed? Was it forced out, and could any damage have been caused?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I asked the electronics it was not forced out and no damage was caused. Though, obviously the vcr is not working properly, so something must be wrong. If only someone could figure out why the power led works for a few seconds and then goes out and then the cassette indicator goes on and stays solid (with no cassette in the machine)...this should provide the clue. I could not see this scenario noted anywhere in the ops or service manual.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Has the VCR been left anywhere humid? Have you tried drying it out in an airing cupboard?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, the vcr has not been in a humid situation. Not a humidity issue.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Ok, then I'm afraid I'm out of ideas on this one - I will open up the questions to the other experts to see if they can assist you further with this.Pete.
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
Hi John and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, the Sony would appear to be kicking in auto-protect mode; i.e. it is still detecting a fault. If a user RESET has been performed, then proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):• check and ensure that while in Service Mode, the data of page 0, address 10 is set to "00"; and/or• remove temporarily / for a period of time the lithium 3V power supply (VD-036 board BT1001).If neither is corrective, then it would confirm a still mechanical/internal hardware issue.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Louie,I'm not sure how to get the machine into service mode. I did find the battery and it looks like it is soldered in...and the service manual states that the battery replacement must include the battery holder. The holder looks like it is soldered in place and holding the battery. Unless I can find a fix soon, tomorrow I'm taking it into my local Sony authorized shop and see what they tell me.
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
The battery removal and the "00" are the only easy doable tries. All others would be electro-mechanical and may involve gear timing.Unfortunately, yes; the battery would have to be de-soldered.Using the Service Manual, please reference p.6-63 / Chapter 3-4 for the Service Mode.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just realized that I only have the service manual until chapter 5 (mine includes exploded diags, parts....but no service mode section). I'm missing the last part. Got it here: night....check again tomorrow.
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
I believe it is the same Service Manual. Still, please try downloading from HERE. Then go see p. 157
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Louie,Looks like I had a more recent manual...but there were sections missing. Your download has everything. It looks like I would need a special tool (RM95) to access the service I reading this correct?