Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Electronics technician for install, troubleshooting, and repairs.
59725966

I have the 88CD and when I plug it in...nothing...any sugg

Customer Question

I have the 88CD and when I plug it in...nothing...any suggestions
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Maureen. Do you mean you see nothing on the display at all? No sound, etc?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Exactly
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for confirming. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2002 model stereo, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This system is significantly past (over double) its designed service life at this point. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; though that type of repair simply wouldn't be feasible.If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor, though there are no longer any parts readily available. For a unit of this type/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new system with a fresh warranty and updated features for the same price range (or less) than repairs. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Kind of what I thought..thanks for confirming it...
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.
You're welcome, Maureen.Cabridge really isn't in the market for these any longer, but if you have a bit more room a mini shelf system would be a good replacement: http://amzn.to/1TPt3naas would a bose wave system: http://amzn.to/1T1WeRr If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please rate my service; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan. Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan --Please note:I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Do you need more help with this, Maureen?