Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

I an getting an e27 error message when I try to record certain

Customer Question

I an getting an e27 error message when I try to record certain program on my funai dvd recorder, I never had this before
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Video Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: there are certain channels I can record from and certain ones I cant I am not sure what else to tell you
JA: Anything else I can tell the Video Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: no not that I can think of
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Video Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. E27 is not documented (the Funai user's guide simply says 'E27... is not displayed' or very close to those words.) But the adjacent error number E26 means Copy Prohibited Program, and E29 means Disc Protected. Possibly you are using low-quality blank discs? that can sometimes make a great difference between whether recording goes through well and without a hitch, or on the other hand, getting an obscure or almost-meaningless error message such as the one you got.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am using dvds that can be bough at any store, I get mine from sam's club. the error code e27 i get says it cannot record in video mode. it only comes on certain pay channels I have such as hbo and starz but also tcm. it records fine from channels like showtime and gettv.
Those channels must be copy-protected then, if HBO and Starz channels always records OK. It seems that the problem is not the disc quality, then.Pay-per-view channels tend to be like that: quite held-in-copy-protection. Others have remarked on this, with regard to E2x errors.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it did start al this til a few weeks ago, I could record on all the channels
That makes the problem more puzzling. Hopefully it won't gradually extend to all channels! Did you change recording settings on the Funai anytime about a few weeks ago, maybe?