Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a hitachi ht464 i owned since 1980 I rehook it up and

Customer Question

I have a hitachi ht464 i owned since 1980 I rehook it up and get little volume out of it . could this be the needle or cartrige
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
Hello, Just to make sure there's actually a problem with the turntable- does your new receiver have a dedicated Phono Input? Most don't. This is required to correct the RIAA equalization recorded onto the records, and also boost the turntable signal up by 30-40 DB to match it to line level. If your new receiver doesn't have a "Phono Input" (must be labeled as such), then you simply need a Phono Preamp and not a cartridge. Let me know and we can proceed.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
If you don't have a phono circuit built into your preamp, then a decent unit can be found at the link below for around $50: http://www.parts-express.com/art-dj-pre-ii-phono-preamp-with-riaa-equalization--245-876 Your turntable will plug into the phono Inputs, then the Outputs will connect to your receiver using standard RCA cables. Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.