Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

My LG HDD video recorder RH399H does not want to connect to

Customer Question

My LG HDD video recorder RH399H does not want to connect to HDD stays on DV nor does the disc tray want to open. Do I need to take it in for repair?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  electronicsguy replied 7 months ago.

Hi welcome to just answer . I will be taking care of you today.

I would like to ask a series of questions in order to arrive to an answer. This is a non standard question as we have to follow a series diagnostic and observations to better understand your problem.

I would like to know when was the last time the system worked?

Have you tried to reset the system by unplugging the power cord, wait for 30 minutes and plug back?

Also I would like you to listen closely to the system when you press open. Do you hear motor runnung? Please bring your ear close to the system.

Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Approximately 2 weeks. I have only had chance to look at it over the last 2 weekends. Have now had recorder off for 30 minutes. Still no go. Can not here a specific drawer sound when I press the manual button. I have to change the channel from HD1 to HD2 when I operate the recorder. When I do the HDM2 comes up on the TV screen but changes to DV and then says no signal. At this point I can hear some kind of dull clicking sound from the recorder which stops as soon as the DV and no signal stops showing on the TV screen. This sound by the way does come from the drawer area. Thanks

Thanks for the information. Have you been able to play a regular dvd on the system? I am asking this because before we starting to go further on the troubleshooting, I would like to know this as it will get us into the right track.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I have a signal and the drawer will open I have always been able to play DVDs.

Ok thanks for the information. Can you play the dvd now without problems?

Can you play blue rays ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Really electronics technician. I have just paid R320 and told you that the drawer cannot open. How on earth can I play a DVD? I also have no signal! With the info I have given you......the recorder is not a blue ray anyway. Please reread my problem. Your answers are not satisfactory!

Sorry about that. We do have a number of problems here.

1. The drawer is not working

2. The system does not produce signal.

Where did you purchase this? I am suspecting that your system has electronics problems and it will be a good idea for someone to look at it at a repair shop. Usually these system comes with manufacturer warranty and should be able to get repaired at no cost to you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Had the player for a couple of years. Think it is out of warranty.

Ok, would you be comfortable taking the cover off to do visual inspection?

I would like to take the covers off and visually look at the tray motor and drive belt.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If you think I can do it? Tell me what to do.

Yes look around the system and identify screws that are holding the top cover. Remove them and careful loose the top coveright and pull it off the system. While doing this, power should be off.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have removed the cover.

Now visually look around the tray. Do you see any loose parts?

Do you see anyour belt or plastic pieces ?

If clear, now load a dvd that you know works and power on the system. Does the system spins the dvd?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Ok go ahead with dvd and power on. Here we are more concerned about covering the laser beam to protect your eyes

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My dear technician. I ask you once again for can I load a DVDs if the drawer does not open? I can't see a belt. I cannot see into the disc unit!!!! There are no loose plastics. What about the signal problem. What does DV mean?