electronicsguy
electronicsguy, Engineer
Experience:  Worked on these instruments for over 15 years.
25158178

I have a vintage tachi D-2200M cassette deck which I have

Customer Question

I have a vintage Hitachi D-2200M cassette deck which I have just replaced all the belts on. The capstans spin OK but the take up reel is not turning, it appears to be slipping on the idler wheel. I have found that by holding the bracket that the idler is on up, the take ip reel will turn.
I have cleaned all surfaces with alcohol but it doesnt make any difference.
Any ideas?
:-)
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  electronicsguy replied 8 months ago.

Hi welcome to just answer.

When you press fast forward, what happens?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ff works ok. But only for so long then it reverses direction to rew.I found that if I push gently on the bracket that carries the idler the reel turns
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The reel tries to turn on play but it squeals as the tire slips on the rim of the reel

When you changed the belts, how many belts did you changed? We're the belt the correct size? Did you check the springs that pulls the tape tranport?

Did you changed the pinch roller

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did the capstan flywheel belt the main motor drive belt and the counter belt. They were the correct ones. The pinch rollers were clean and Matt I didn't change them. Good point about the springs. Maybe they need to be compressed a bit?

Yes,

I would check and compress the springs. Also with age, the pinch roller gets harder and visually you cannot tell as the rubber hardens over time.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. Thank you. The idler wheel looks pristine however...but it might be hard.

You can check it and let me know the result.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. I'll do it tomorrow. I have had enough of it today 😀 I am on the east coast I'm guessing you're in Oakland or the east bay.

No east also. Good night.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Good night.

Let me know the results

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will. With pictures.

Ok they will help. We also schedule phone call if that would help.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. I'll try the springs and then take it from there.

Ok. You can also change the roller if you have one.also sometimes the motor becomes weak and does not pull the same as a new motor.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi, I did some more work on my deck today. I have got the take up reel to take up, this was with copious cleaning of the idler tire with alcohol. It is still a bit flaky, so I will see if I can get another one or get it re tired, there are people doing that out there.I have another issue, I have taken videos of it - what is the best way to get those to you? I can post them on my facebook account if you can use this.Basically, if you wedge the "tape in" microswitch so the deck thinks it has a tape in, and then press play, it plays for about 10 secs then stops. If you hold play down, it plays for 10 seconds, stops then starts again.It also does this in FF and REW - the tape winds for 10 secs then stops. Ditto if you hold the button down, it will run, stop, then run again.I am off to bed now but let me know if you have any ideas and how I can post the video. Google drive is another option snd you can download them to your PC.I looked at the springs, they dont pull the transport up, they pull it down so have nothing to do with this.:-)
Thanks for the update. Can we schedule a phone discussion sometimes today. I would like to have some discussion about your new problem.