green-owl
green-owl, Engineer
Experience:  I have a lot of experience with digital media.
14666028

I have two Sony Walkmans, D-SJ301 model # that start a

Customer Question

Hi--I have two Sony Walkmans, D-SJ301 model # ***** start a "ticking" sound over the music or audio, and then stop playing the CD suddenly--the first one I had did that, so I found another and now it is after a few months doing the same thing…I thought it might be the burned CDs but it does it with a pro CD as well (tho it is one I play daily). Any thoughts of repair possibilities? Thanks in advance,
vb
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  green-owl replied 1 year ago.

Hi. The pro CD is indeed a better test for this but as long as it is not scratched too much.

First, does the sound come from the device itself or is in the sound of the headphone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems to be from the device--not the headphone------it's not likely to be a tooo scratched CD---but they are mostly burned CDs, except for two that have done the same thing==purchased CDs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If this is going to be a "canned" response for this question------ie. " scratched CD--or burned CD-----I'm not going to pay for it---I could figure that out for myself---I need a REAL solution--based on this excellent Walkman (model # ***** the original Query)………Thanks very much, vb
Expert:  green-owl replied 1 year ago.

After checking in the service manual, i don't seem to see anything obvious that could cause this. It is obviously a defect in a component as it affected two device in a row. Without having the device on my test bench it is hard to see what can be bad. I still link you the service manual, it may be usefull in dissasembly if needed for the following. http://archivos.diagramas.mx/audio/D-SJ301 sm.pdf

The Sony site mention of the problem but does not give much info:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40149/c/65,66/p/57784,72157,72419/

That said it give me a hint that it might be related to the the laser pickup trying to adjust (preventively to not have a sound buffer under-run). I don't see well how the spindle grabbing of the CD is from the diagram but often if one become dirty it become so asymetrically so the CD is no longer perfectly parallel to the spindle. Cleaning it with pure alchohol may help. Giving a clean of alchohol on the laser lens may also help (being a portable device it get in contact with lot more contaminent than a living room CD player).

Let me know if this clear the problem or reduce the occurence, if not we may look into other things.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks much for your response---I looked at both links--SONY will not service a product this old, it looks like--the other link is good to have as the very complete manual, but didn't give any answers that show what I could do. I'll try the rubbing alcohol cleaning as you suggest and get back to you, but do you do repair things like this? As a possibility could I send these to you? This model is just right for the work that I do with clients for sound therapy and trauma work because of the toggle and quick response---I can also listen as I reverse or fast forward to get to the exact spot when I know a CD well………..and THAT might be the problem--that I use it in that way and every day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it could be the CDs, but I don't think so--especially since SONY also had a reference to the exact same thing. Thanks again, vb
Expert:  green-owl replied 1 year ago.

It would sadly be cost prohibitive to send it to me but you may have a Sony authorized repairman in your area. As for if i repair that kind of thing, yes but i don't have any notes on that particular model. We se very few of those, they are rare as MP3 player where getting lot more versatile and cost competitive.

I never said it could be the CD. More the way the CD hold in the player. The way you used it should not matter much. The way the motor is always in the same manner, only the seeking head move. That particular model have an advanced anti shock system that buffer the sound in memory (almost like an mp3 player storing the music temporarly in RAM). The motors really seem to work, fine, the problem look to be related to having to much error in copying to that RAM so eventually it can't fill it up as fast as it play it to the headphone. That is why i suspect the lens or the spindle. It could also be the slider bars (those are two metalic bar that allow the laser head to go inward and outward of the CD. Those can become gummy and slow down the filling of the memory buffer (you can clean those the same way). Usually when someting work but work bad, it is fixable.