Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Electronics technician for install, troubleshooting, and repairs.
59725966

I am having problems with my 8 yr old DVD Recorder

Customer Question

I am having problems with my 8 yr old DVD Recorder DMR-EZ47V, which I like very much. Problem is with the DVD drawer - will not open and close, etc. Can you recondition it. I would buy a new one, but I understand this unit has not been manufactured since 2012.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately this is most often a hardware failure (bad motor, worn gear, loose belt, etc in the ejection mechanism, faulty switch or sensor, or just an obstruction by a disc that is out of place)

There are a few things you can try:

First unplug power for at least an hour, then press and hold the power/on button while plugging back in, and keep holding for another 60 seconds. If it still doesn't open, repeat the process but with the eject button instead of power.

If it still does not open, pick the unit up and shake/tilt the player side to side gently, hopefully dislodging the stuck disc inside that could be preventing it from opening, then try to open again.

If none of these help, then there is an internal hardware defect, which will need to be repaired.

If it gets to that point, I can advise you on service options.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Your answer was not satisfactory -- I wanted to know if Panasonic would repair it. You used the Panasonic link, and I thought I was contacting them directly. I call their number, and they told me where to send it. They were surprised that you were answering their link.
I am not satisfied with your service, and am requesting you to honor your 100% guarantee and refund the discover card charges of $18.00.
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

I was simply trying to help you with a possible resolution before considering sending it in for repairs.

Panasonic would not repair it, they don't actually do any non warranty work.

Yes, they will tell you where to send it, but even that is not their own panasonic service center, it is a subcontractor and while it can be fixed, it is not going to be feasible to do so. You'd spend more just on shipping than the unit is worth and you could replace it with a brand new system for less than you'll spend to repair it.

Also to clarify, this is a paid support site. You clicked on a link to come here, though it may have been an ad that mentioned techs that work with panasonic equipment, this is not panasonic directly. They don't provide this type of support for out of warranty products, which is why they only would have referred you to panurgy for their subcontracted service. I have no access to or control over any billing or refund related matters.

If you'd like, I'd be happy to recommend a suitable replacement for you though.

Best regards,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Your first answer was worthless -- I had done all those things, as per owner's manual. What I wanted to know is would Panasonic fix it, the DVD recorder. Since your answer was of no help, I then called Panasonic direct. They told me where I could send it for repair, which I will do.
Since you were no help with the question, and I do NOT want to have an account with you, kindly return the money, $5 & $13 you received from my Discover card as per you stated satisfaction guarantee.
.
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Again, i have no access to any billing matters. You may visit the account/help page to handle that process yourself.

Have a nice day,