electronicsguy
electronicsguy, Engineer
Experience:  Worked on these instruments for over 15 years.
25158178

I have a panasonic blu ray recorder model dmr-bs850 which I

Customer Question

I have a panasonic blu ray recorder model dmr-bs850 which I believe originated in the UK. I live in the United States and am trying to get it to work for me. After I power the unit on, it's stuck in a "search" mode looking for a Free Sat. I have little or no control via the remote. Do I need to do a factory reset? If so, how do I gain control? Thank you.
Category: Recorders and Players
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also, I only have the recorder plugged in and have an HDMI out to a tv. Nothing else is plugged into it (front or back).
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

This box is supposed to be used with a satellite dish. The searching-for-Freesat, is a function appropriate to satellite TV recording, or similar operation.

So it's not going to find anything, in its Search mode, unless it's connected to a satellite dish.

In fact, reading an account by someone who actually tried using it, it seems that it has satellite tuners... but perhaps no other capabilities in point of bringing in signal, I'm sorry to say.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Russell:Thanks for the info. However, I'm not trying to use it for satellite signals. My goal is to input video via the component inputs and record movies to Blu Ray disc. Is this possible and is it possible to exit the free sat search mode or reset the device? Thanks.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If so, and I gain control, how do I keep the unit from going back to the Free SAT search mode once I figure out how to exit it? Thanks.

This is a satellite-intended DVR.

It can also 'do' Blu-Ray discs.

And the most promising mode for your purposes would be to connect it to a TV with an HDMI cable - provided it was a certain sort of TV, not just any. Particularly recommended is Panasonic Viera.

But mention of tuning cable TV or the like, there is none in the manual. Or casual reviews of it.

Try going to the Function menu display, for access to features of this device.

http://brady.manuals365.com/swf/panasonic/dmrbs850.html?page=2#manual

to see an overview of this device's capabilities.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
As I said, I have little control with the remote. When I hit Function, the display reads B 2. As I asked before, how to I get out of the search mode in FREE SAT when I don't have control via the remote? Is there a Hard Reset I can do without the remote while it's still in FREE SAT Search mode?

I have found no indication of a hard reset for this device.

I am sorry to say, I found no way to exit the Search / Scan mode that looks for a satellite-originated signal source.

I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts, in case one of them can contribute.

Expert:  electronicsguy replied 9 months ago.

I would like to have a phone discussion with you later today.