Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Electronics technician for install, troubleshooting, and repairs.
59725966

How can I make my Panasonic DMR XW 390 Region Free *****

Customer Question

How can I make my Panasonic DMR XW 390 Region Free ***** ***** Hurst is the name
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The serial number is ***** and the date of manufacture is May 2012
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electronics Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  electronicsguy replied 9 months ago.

Hi Welcome to just answer

Based on the manufacturer specifications, the system is regional fixed and cannot be changed to regional free.

Please try this and let me know if it would work for you

• Turn the player on. Press and hold "Shift" on the remote.
  • Press "Setup," then release Shift. Press the "Enter" button twice
  • Choose "Other" and enter in a region code (for example, enter 0001 for Region 1).
  • Press Enter, then "Return" twice. Turn the player off.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How can I make my Panasonic DMR XW 390...
How can I make my Panasonic DMR XW 390 Region Free ***** ***** Hurst is the name JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue? Customer: The serial number is ***** and the date of manufacture is May 2012 JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electronics Technicians generally ... view fullelectronicsguy
Electronics TechnicianHi Welcome to just answerBased on the manufacturer specifications, the system is regional fixed and cannot be changed to regional free.Please try this and let me know if it would work for youTurn the player on. Press and hold "Shift" on the remote.
Press "Setup," then release Shift. Press the "Enter" button twice
Choose "Other" and enter in a region code (for example, enter 0001 for Region 1).
Press Enter, then "Return" twice. Turn the player off.I had the above conversation last night, but I was cut off after receiving the above solution.
It didn't work as this is a recorder not a computer so it does not have either a shift key or an enter key.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is hardly a satisfactory answer, so unless you have other suggestions I assume that there will be no charge.
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Honestly, there isn't anything you can do in this case. The problem here is that the player is designed for and locked to a specific region while you're attempting to play a disc from another region. These region codes were set up by the movie studios to help prevent piracy, and there is no easy way around them. The information previously provided is not applicable to your situation.

While some players are capable of being altered by entering a specific code, those are devices that have no hardware limitations, and the software/setting allows a change in parameters. Most units are not built this way, and in the case of recorders, because of copy protection regulations, they are virtually never region free capable. They are hardware locked, as in the case of your machine.

This region coding protocol is physically built into the hardware (chips on the control board) of the player, and changing it would require physical modifications to the player (swapping out chips) that would void the warranty and often permanently damage the player.

Your best options are to re-purchase the discs you want to play in your country with the proper region code, or buy a purpose made region-free player that does not have this hardware restriction.

I'm sorry there isn't a better answer here, it's simply a design limitation of the player.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.