Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Electronics technician for install, troubleshooting, and repairs.
59725966

Rusty,.i just baught a dvd player model DVP5982/37....and it

Customer Question

hey rusty,.i just baught a phillips dvd player model DVP5982/37....and it has a usb port in which I wanted to play a thumb drive....well, I put the thumbdrive in and it loads the it displays STOP...and it just does nothing...how do I solve this or can I??
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Ray.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
well,..just help me becuz I have no users manual with trouble shooting advice...so here I am..i sure hope you can help me!! is this common and if so why or what happened to the device that it would say that??
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

There are several possible issues here, but they all come down to limitations of the player.

Keep in mind that though you may have just purchased it, this is actually a 10 year old model player. Technology was different then, and the player was not designed to work with most of the equipment used today.
While it has some usb playback ability, it is very limited. It will work with .mp3 and .divx files, but it isn't going to recognize a usb memory stick larger than 4gb.

You should be able to reset by unplugging power to it for 60 seconds.

If that still doesn't help, repairs would be indicated at that point, but that simply is not feasible. There are no parts available and you'd pay more in labor than the system is worth. You'd be better off returning it and buying a new player (which you could get for $50 or less) with current technology and features that actually has a warranty as well and will work with your other devices.

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Hopefully you got it somewhere where it can be returned, though I'm surprised to see anyone still selling a player from 2006.

This would be a more suitable replacement model for you:http://amzn.to/1T5WyBH

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i'd like to know what would have happened to this dvd player to cause this just so I don't do it in the futl....no typing like this is enough..i don't want to spend anything and so far you've gotten 20 some odd dollars out of me and I won't spend more! just tell me wo asking for more money would you...im getting fed up that I asked one question and it seems like you are needling me for more money...I am disabled and cannot afford an expensive repair...!!!!
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

You don't need to spend anything more, that is an optional advertisement you are seeing

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

What has happened is that the player is corrupted because you tried to use it with a device for which it was not intended.
Again, this is a very old model player and it wasn't meant to work with a large memory stick for playing back videos like that.

No reputable vendor should have sold you this player in the first place. You should take it back and ask for your money back and replace it with a new model, which likely won't cost any more, and you'll be far better off in the long run.

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Did you try the reboot process yet?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I spent 29$ just to hear that....and you were asking me for 18 more to hear that on the phone...see, that's really sweet of you to have me pay 29 dollars to tell me my machine is corrupted and was asking me 18$ MORE, to tell me that in person???!....no thanks, ***** ***** enough and spent enough on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will never buy another phillips anything!! I hope you're happy that I don't have that money you just took from me wo doing a single thing for me except pay you 29$ to tell me you can't help me??? now am I wrong or what....I won't have you calling me bcuz I no your object is to get more $$$ outah me..and I just don't have it!! it costed me 29 dollars for you to tell me you can't help me...now is there something worng with that or is it just me....no, no way do I want to talk about anything to you w fears you'll be charging me for it!! I mean what if that happened to you, i'm sure you'd be pissed as I am!! no thanks, ***** ***** this dvd player and your company will not be seeing anything more that what you've already gotten out of me!!..it's like I just wasted 29$...forgive me for saying but I spent 29$ to be exactly where I am before I called,..is it just me or what to say that I think you guys are raping the vulnerable ppo that look up to you and you should be ashamed!!!!!!!
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

I was not asking you to pay anything - that is an optional automated offer from the site

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

I would not buy a philips product either, which is why I recommended a different model for you.

I cannot control what you purchased or that it failed. I can only diagnose and explain the issue. The real problem here is that some other disreputable person sold you a 10 year old dvd player to begin with.

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

I am truly sorry I don't have better news for you here, but I am limited to answering your question, which I did. I can tell you the cause of the problem, why it happened, and the best way to resolve it, which is what I've done. Your best option here, again, is to seek a refund through the person that sold you this, and to buy a more appropriate player for your needs, such as the one I recommended earlier.

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Do you need more help with this, Ray?