electronicsguy
electronicsguy, Engineer
Experience:  Worked on these instruments for over 15 years.
25158178

I have a Kenwood KVT-617 with DVD & pop out touch screen in

Customer Question

I have a Kenwood KVT-617 with DVD & pop out touch screen in my car. Well it was in it when I purchased it & never had an issue. Well I replaced my battery & now it's asking for a pass code that I don't have.. How do I unlock it?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  electronicsguy replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

Was the system original with your car or was after market?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's aftermarket.. No car comes stock with this stereo!!! Just look up the version... KENWOOD KVT-617DVD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems like a paysite would be able to look up the model & obtain the 4digit code easily.. If not then what did I just pay $25.00 for😳
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Sorry for the delays. I have two questions for you. Did you set the original code for the radio?

According to the manufacturer, it is very difficult to reset the code because of the nature of the security of the radio. I can suggest few things that you can try :- One, You can try a generic Kenwood reset procedure to see if you can change the code:-

1-During the code request mode, while holding the DISP key depressed, press and hold the Volume UP or DOWN key for 3 seconds (so that “…” disappears).

Then using your remote enter your code.

2-Press the "Auto" button and "Track up" on face of radio at the same time. The four dash lines ( . . . . ) should "disappear".

Then using your remote enter your code.

3-for Model# ***** and DPX-4030

Press and hold the 1 then the 6 preset key (preset keys are the buttons on face of radio for storing you "favorite" radio stations). "C" should display.

Then using your remote, enter your code.
Enter your number from the remote control unit. suppose Your code number is ***** (KCAR)

* Press numeric key “5” ( 2 times ) and press the Track UP/Next Track key

* Press numeric key “2” ( 3 times ) and press the Track UP/Next Track key

* Press numeric key “2” ( 1 time ) and press the Track UP/Next Track key

* Press numeric key “7” ( 2 times ) and press the Track UP/Next Track key

The security is canceled and the set enters the TUNER mode!

If this was original with a car, there is a code the you can retrieve from the radio that the car dealer can use to process the code. But this is not the case here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm waiting on that 4digit pass word

I sorry, I cannot supply you with the 4 digit number as I cannot physically change it for you here online. All I can do is to give you suggestions of what you an try to reset. Have you tried to follow the instructions above?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was in the car when I brought it & I wasn't aware that it had a pass code until a year later when I just replaced the battery. What you suggest doesn't work. I found that information for free in a blog already..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the plight they said that there is a reset password ***** comes in the manual. There was no manual in the car because it's aftermarket & a used car...

Ok, your next option is to contact the manufacturer to get help reset the radio, you will have to show the proof of purchase of the vehicle before they will help with reset.
Where are you located?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I foundthose instructions on line for free & tried them several times. They don't work on touch screen & DVD models...

Do you have the remote for this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just payed you $25.00 to tell me that I have to pay the manufacturer for the code????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the remote

You will not be charged unless you are satisfied with the service. I will opt out and let other experts try this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm looking @ my checking account statement & Ive already been charged 18.68 threw my paypal to Just Answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have my bank app on my phone & computer.. So I've already been charged for this service!!!