Richard, Customer Service
Experience:  Over 20 years fixing Electronically devices
32989067

I have the Olympus VN 7200 and have successfully transferred

Customer Question

I have the Olympus VN 7200 and have successfully transferred an audio file from it to my laptop using an auxiliary cord plugged into the mic jack....only once. I've tried SEVERAL times since on SEVERAL different laptops (the original laptop used with success had been damaged shortly thereafter). This is so frustrating!! There are important files that I need from that recorder and it's been impossible for me to do so. I've tried using the laptops sound recorder (what I used successfully 1st time), wavepad, audacity, I've asked many employees at places like Fryes and Best Buy (those guys are all pretty clueless) and nothing nor anyone can help me. I'm hoping and have my fingers crossed that you can help me!!!
Thanks so much,
Kristie Sands (###) ###-####
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me which version of windows you are running please?

Thank you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
10
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Thanks

Plug the cable from the auxillary cord into the microphone jack on the computer

Then press play

Right click on the speaker icon in the bottom right, and select recording devices.

One of these devices will be showing green bars in reference to the sound from the player, click on that device and click set as default.

Then run the sound recorder and tell me if it is now recording the sound please.

I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.

Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.

I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.

Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.

If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Let me try this first...I just noticed my battery level is on the low side and I wouldn't want it to go dead while you were on. Do I attempt what you said using the laptop's sound recorder or wavepad which I already have downloaded?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

You can use the sound recorder, its the most simplest tool.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
neither the microphone or the stereo mix icon are showing any activity (green bars)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I didn't have the sound recorder pulled up and recording. Should I?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

If you plug headphones into the same port on the Olympus, do you hear sound?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Right click in the window with the devices for microphone ect and click Show Disabled devices.

Does anything else show?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have both show disabled and disconnected checked and those two are the only ones that come up
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Check the port you have the device plugged into, its likely its the wrong one, try the other port it fits in please on the computer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm sorry I'm not sure what you're telling me to do. Try the other port on recorder, which is the mic port? I know that's not what I used in the past when it worked. And I'm not aware of another port on the laptop?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

No, on the computer. There are multiple ports, a line out port and a microphone port and I suspect you have it plugged into the line out port on the Laptop.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No there is only one port. Only other "plug in ports" are usb and power supply
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm sorry, and an hdmi
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

whats the make and model of the laptop

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's hp but how do I find the model number?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm about to run out of battery on my phone and laptop and I ran off this morning without my chargers. Is it possible to postpone this for about an hour to give me time to get home and pick them up? At that time you could just go in and have a look at the laptop yourself
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

please follow the instructions here

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

ok, thats no problem

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Should I message you here when I'm ready or do you want to set a time?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

yes, just message me here please

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Great, thanks so much!!
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

your welcome

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi this is Kristie sands, you were helping me this morning in trying to transfer my audio files from a digital recorder to my laptop. I'm so sorry it has taken me much longer than I anticipated with getting back to you. I am available now or anytime today or evening. Or anytime this weekend. I can work around whatever your schedule is. Please let me know your first availability and again, all apologies for not getting back to you sooner.
Thanks, Kristie(###) ###-####
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Hi Kristie,

I am available now if we can complete this