Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have an old Panasonic RX 5150 stereo tape player/radio.

Customer Question

I have an old Panasonic RX 5150 stereo tape player/radio. The tape player makes a thumping noise even if there is no cassett in place. The noise is obviously coming from the motor drive belt. Does it need a new drive belt? This unit is a high quality machine. I would like to be able to record again. Please advise if possible.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

Hi Ron and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, I checked the repair/Service Manual and it appears that the belt/motors come into action only when PLAY, FF or REW are engaged.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach?

More importantly, would an electronic copy of the Service Manual serve your need then?