Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics.
23511658

I have a vintage TEAC A 4010-S Tape recorder. Yes, it's old

Customer Question

I have a vintage TEAC A 4010-S Tape recorder. Yes, it's old but until very recently, it has performed without issue. I now seem to have a drive problem that I took in for repair at a local TEAC repair place. They held it for over a month and finally after I called to question the repair situation they told me that the original motor has been replaced but the replacement motor doesn't fit ! ! ! ! Why would a company issue a replacement part that DOESN'T FIT ! Are they handing me a line of bull ? The next closest authorized TEAC repair shop is over 300 miles away. But if the replacement part doesn't fit. Why drive 300 miles and wait another 6 weeks if the same thing happens. What should I do next ? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Larry ***********
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today. Please let me know if there as any additional information that you feel might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Michael for getting back to me. I think I pretty much explained my situation. My only real problem will be trying to find a repair shop that can fix it......if it can be fixed ! I found a fellow in Columbus, Ohio (approx. 150 miles south of me) that would try but he wants me to provide the part...............here we go again.........the part question raises it's ugly head again ! I was told this unit has 3 motors ???? How do I know which one is busted ? ? ? HELP !

Regardless of whether they are referring to a hub motor or a capstan motor, this isn't the right replacement! Take a look at this page - you can see the various motors that it uses - you can also see that they have specific form factors and whether it's the original or the replacement, they would have to be the same. This page has the part numbers as well.

http://bitli.es/Ce1iSB