Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a digital voice records vn-5500pc - it usually works

Customer Question

Customer: I have a digital voice records vn-5500pc - it usually works fine but won't play most of one of my recordings - it says the file is 24m23s long but only plays the first 22 seconds - can I do anything to access the rest? when I look at it on the commuter the size of the file looks very small
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It's just one voice file out of 3 - plays the first 22 seconds of it but won't play the rest on playback
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Consumer Electronics Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes that's great
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I suspect the file is corrupted. Perhaps header information about the size of the file has changed, making it be marked as only 22 seconds long and cutting the playback at that point. Or perhaps the actual size of the file (either as a file, or as content in that file) is only 22 seconds long and there *is* no further content.

What you need to try is, to attempt to run file recovery utilities on it, in case the content past 22 seconds

A. does exist

and

B. can be recovered.

But first tell me, what its File Type is, as shown in the file's Properties, on the computer.

WAV? AVI? MOV? something else such as MP3? the file recovery utility to use would vary, depending upon the file type.