Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Theo here,
, I have a problem with my Marantz CD 16

Customer Question

Customer: Hello Theo here,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a problem with my Marantz CD 16 player. It is giving error en will read no disks
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Consumer Electronics Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I am living in the Netherlands and here it is aalready night so how long should i wait?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Recorders and Players
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I lifted the hood and watched what happend inside. After i turn on the power switch, the spindle motor turns a bit and laser pickup moves in and out. After that the display wil give a disk error.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Made a measurement on the supply voltages +5V, -5V, +9V, +15V, -15V and all seems okay.
Marantz used very good capacitors in this machine like Silmic's, Cerafine's and even Rubycon Black Gates so i an not suspecting one of these. We used it only 2-3 times a month and everything else looks like brandnew.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took some time to read several issues about how a CD player works and learned what happens the moment you insert a CD.
The laserpickup first will focus on de disk, then the spindle motor wil start running and information about tracks, time etc has to be reading out and put into memory. After this the player is ready to do the job.
Seems to me something is wrong with the laser pickup.
I am much expierienced wit the repair of vintage ecuipment like tuners, receivers, and amps but until now never with digital equipment. This is the first time and my own player.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since it is already 0:45 at night here in Holland i an going to sleep now. I wil take a look tomorrow thank You
Regards, Theo
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.