electronicsguy
electronicsguy, Engineer
Experience:  Worked on these instruments for over 15 years.
25158178

I have a Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-EX87. I wasn't powering

Customer Question

Hi Folks,
I have a Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-EX87.
I wasn't powering on ...so I did some investigation.
After opening up the box, I noticed that it had a swollen capacitor, however had difficulty obtaining the correct capacitor, so instead....I removed the Hard Disk Drive, plugged it in to my personal computer, (to see if I could retrieve the movies and TV shows) however the file formats were different, so I stopped that trail of thought.
I then ordered a new capacitor on the internet, and I have just replaced it this morning.
After putting everything back together and plugging the DVD Recorder back in....it powers up okay....but immediately wants to reformat the HDD.....I have the option of saying Yes or No to this action on screen, however the system wont allow me to actually select 'No"....(i.e. I want to save all the movies and previously recorded video).
Is the a way of skipping this step somehow i.e. I don't want to format the HDD (but the DVD Recorder is insisting).....any ideas?
Thanks
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  electronicsguy replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to just answer,

If you were able to see the files on a regular pc, I would copy them to your computer hard drive, format the drive then copy them back. I would curious to what file extensions they are.

Try this and let me know the results.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for your reply which is greatly appreciated.Unfortunately when I attempted to see the HDD files on the my PC, it requested that the HDD be formatted, so I backed out and went no further.Any other ideas?I am wondering why the DVD Recorder thinks the HDD needs to be formatted? Is there are an override that I can undertake?( I also have a WDTV, so I was wondering perhaps if I connect it to the Panasonic HDD, via USB connection, would it show and enable the files to be played)?ThanksJohn

Thanks for your clarification. Can you tell me who is the hard drive manufacturer? I would recommend purchasing a similar drive and install it on the system and see if it will work.

The hard drives on these systems are formated differently than the hard drive on the computer. If you can find the USB to hard drive connecting tool, you can try. But I am not sure whether this will work without formatting it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks again for your comments.The hard drive is a Samsung (see attached photo).I will purchase a USB to HDD adaptor, and plug it into my WDTV and see if that works.As another idea, I read somewhere that Linux software may be able to read the DVD files on a PC....thoughts?ThanksJohn

I was actually thinking mac might also that better. Do you have linux?

You can try any thino as long as you do not format

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello,I purchased a HDD to USB adapter today and plugged it into my PC running Windows 10....and it doesn't even recognise it on the File explorer at all, so I disconnected.
I also tried plugging into my WDTV but it didn't recognise it either.I then connected the HDD to my New Panasonic DVD player ( DMR BW-T955) and it wants to register the drive (and I think delete everything)... See attached photo.No I don't have Linux.Any other ideas?John
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also, I can't understand why the old DVD player, which works now, wants to format the HDD?...it belongs to that player and therefore it is weird that it wants to do that....can you explain why this is happening in the first place please? Thanks John

John,

When you installed the external USB drive on the computer, did you check on device manager to see if windows see it as a device on USB port?

My last suggestion is, to purchase another drive and format it to be used on the current system. Keep the old one until you can find a way to recover the files.