Dr. Fix-It
Dr. Fix-It, Technician
Experience:  Work on all electronic recording devices & sound systems. .
2926636

I have a TEAC device (LP-R550USB) which includes a cassette

Customer Question

I have a TEAC device (LP-R550USB) which includes a cassette player and a CD drive that you can transfer the music to. However, every time I attempt to finalize a CD-R disc (no matter what name-brand I use) I get the answer "DISC ERR." The instruction manual says this means you have inserted a faulty disc. I have inserted many high-quality discs and ALWAYS get this error message. I need help and am willing to pay for it. Bill
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Dr. Fix-It replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is Shaw aka Dr.Fix-It , Your online expert ready to assist you...

Bill it is possible there is some dirt or dust build up on the cd reader lens and needs to be cleaned out... You can try can of air sprayed into the opening to blow out any internal dust on components and then suggest run a quality cleaning cd disc. You should be able to pick up the can of air and cleaning disc at local electronics store or department.

Below are some examples from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Compressed-Professional-Blow-Off-Electronics/dp/B015UNJZAC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451952928&sr=8-1-spons

http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-CD-340-Lens-Cleaner-190048/dp/B000001OM5/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1451952690&sr=8-2

Hopefully that does the trick, otherwise possible the reader lens array is damaged and would then require repair or replacement of the unit.

Please give it a try and let me know if have any questions along the way with a reply....only rate my answer ok, great, or EXCELLENT after we have worked on the issue together to your satisfaction. Bonuses are welcomed & appreciated. I look forward to any future inquires as well, Thank You

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have used the CD lens cleaner ad well as the canned air to clean out the CD unit more thoroughly. However, I still get the message that I have tried to use a defective disc. I noted that on the cleaning disc the sound was good. I don't understand how I can get a good audio sound from a CD but can't get it to finalize music transferred from a cassette tape to the high-quality blank CD-R I have inserted. I will be happy to compensate you more than your minimum if you can help me solve this problem. You mentioned that the CD unit might need repair work. Who does this type of work? The TEAC unit mentioned in my first message is very bulky and would be hard to ship without possibly doing more damage. I will appreciate any assistance. I don't expect something for nothing. I just need to get this problem solved so I can start transferring my cassette tapes to CDs . Thank you--Bill Stewart. (Note: I am willing to purchase new equipment if I can get something that enables you to transfer music from its cassette deck to its CD player/recorder. I used to have equipment like this but I have been unable to locate it.)

Hi Bill the if the internal cd recorder as failed, yes may not be worth effort to try to have repair. Instead you can install some editing software (click here) so can connect the Teac LP-R550USB unit to your computer via the USB port. (Can click here for the online Audiocity software manual) Will then have all your audio from analog tape to digital format files on your computer which can transfer to your mp3 player, smart phone, or burn onto cd using your computer cd burner. Please reference page 32 of the Teac manual by clicking here. Otherwise can also get an in-expensive tape player with USB and software to transfer to your pc as well.

Well I hope that gives some options to backup those old tapes and preserved to keep on enjoying :)

Shaw aka Dr.Fix-It

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I already have the Audacity Software on my computer and have connected me TEAC unit with the computer. I believed I was transferring music this way. But when I tried to play a disc I had supposedly burned the transferred music to all I got as silence. I am familiar with Audacity and have printed out their manual. However, I haven't gotten good results from using it. Thanks for your time and recommendations.

Bill if you have a Windows computer the Windows Media player allows you to burn music CDs or can click here for the Roxio software I have used and is quite user friendly making it easy to create CD that are in format that CD players can play. I did find a compariable Teac system at an reasonable price if prefer the easy of just play and record to CD directly option, click here for a look.

I hope this is of better help, let me know...

Thanks, Shaw

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What if I purchased the TEAC-CD-P650-B Compact Disc Player with USB and IPod Digital Interface? Could I connect a cassette tape player to it and feed the music to it after pressing "REC" on the CD unit? When the tape was completely transferred I would press "FINALIZE" on the CD unit and I would have a disc I could either upload to my main computer or listen to in the car, etc. I need to keep my main computer free while I am working with the cassette tapes so I can use it for free-lance work I do. If the above unit isn't what you recommend please suggest another in the c. $200 range. Thank you and I apologize for dragging this out. I will probably give Roxio a try this weekend. With the other software it gave me the impression that the transfer to the blank CD-R was going well (e.g., showing me the volume at which the recording was being made). However, when the transfer was completed I couldn't find a place to check FINALIZE. This is the most important step in music transfer from cassette to CD. You must be able to FINALIZE what you have transferred or the CD is virtually useless.
Expert:  Dr. Fix-It replied 10 months ago.

Bill the p650 does not have a cd recorder... if do not want to use a pc, you can get a TEAC CD-RW890 CD RECORDER to connect the audio line in to the line out ( via red & white rca cable ) in the back of your existing Teac unit.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have just finished another try with Windows Media Player and came up with another blank disc when attempting to play it on another CD player. I got the message that I had transferred more than one hour of music but I didn't get to hear any of it. After it showed that I had burned the music to the CD I didn't see any place to click that you wanted to finalize the disc. The music could be on an unfinalized disc and thus unplayable. The Roxio site is malfunctioning. Every time I entered "Alabama" as my state I got a return message saying I needed to enter my state. I finally gave up entering the same state multiple times. Later tonight I plan to order the equipment you suggested. When I make my first finalized CD of music transferred from a cassette tape you can be sure that you will receive a bonus! I never believed that this simple task would turn out to be so difficult.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am experimenting with different approaches for transferring music from cassettes to CD-R's. The first approach I tried was using the Windows Media Player. The problem with this was when I clicked on "Burn" the "start burn" message remained shaded so when you clicked on it nothing would happen. I have been unable to transfer anything from a cassette using the Windows Media Player because the :start burn" area remains shaded and thus unusable. I purchased a guide for making audio recordings but have been unable to access it. I am now going to search on line for step-by-step instructions for transferring music from cassette tapes to finalizable CD-Rs. I hope you are having a good weekend and are able to do only those things you wish to do in your off time.

Bill to use the pc, first the audio files have to be in a format that the software can play and convert to cd format, second have to have a compatible record-able cd loaded in a read/write drive, then can transfer the files to the program to bur an 'audio disc'.. if for some reason burn a standard disc it will be in file format which only can be opened on a computer, so should say it is creating audio / music cd and no finalization is needed on the pc. reference a basic guide here Otherwise can in indeed get the new cd recorder to directly copy and finalize disc on the external Teac to Teac units.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have ordered the equipment you suggested. Amazon reports that it has shipped. I presume UPS will be delivering tomorrow despite the MLK holiday. I may see if Roxio has corrected its homepage error by today so I can download their software. It would be good to have two workable transfers. I still don't understand why music burned onto a CD on one computer would not be playable on another computer almost exactly like the first--i.e., both are HP Envy laptops.

ok sounds good, let me know how it goes and enjoy your Sunday...