electronicsguy
electronicsguy, Engineer
Experience:  Worked on these instruments for over 15 years.
25158178

How to remove the pause knob on an akai gx 220d reel to reel

Customer Question

how to remove the pause knob on an akai gx 220d reel to reel tape deck? Also, how to get motor to go forward instead of reverse in the play mode?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  electronicsguy replied 1 year ago.

Hi Welcome to just answer. When was the last time the system worked. Have you tried to power off the system

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

When are you available today

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I was out all day, but I can talk now. Call me at XXX XXX XXXX.

What time can we talk tomortow ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we can talk now. call me at XXX XXX XXXX.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know when was the last time the system worked. It was stored in a garage and my friend gave it to me. I plugged it in and checked the operation. The fast forward and the reverse works but it will not go forward in the play position. Instead, the motor spins in the reverse direction. I want to take the cover off to check it out but I cannot remove the pause knob. It appears the pause know has a metal dowel wedged in it. Please respond ASAP. Let's try this way before we go to the phone.

Sorry for the delays, I will try schedule this for 7:00pm est

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. 7:00 pm is fine.

Please accept my proposal as that is the only way I get credit for my time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please explain. I have paid $36 for this service.

I am sorry, I can only help here online for what you have paid for. Phone call is extra service outside of what you have paid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand. Forget the phone call. I'm waiting for an answer to my problem. Did you read the information about my problem that I sent?

Yes,

There is a wheel that is attached to the other end of the tape and pause removes it atomatically. Is that wheel there?

If yes, then what happens when you push towards the tape?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know because I cannot remove the cover until I remove the pause knob. How do I remove the pause knob? I have removed every knob except the pause kn ob.

Is the pause know not a switch? Is it a mechanical linkage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it is a mechanical linkage. The machine is an Akai GX 220D reel to reel tape deck. If you can get a picture of it you will see what I mean.

OK if it is mechanical linkage, it will be a bit difficult because the linkage is a lever that is spring loaded and is directly attached to the wheel that pulls the tape. To remove it, you will need to start near the wheel and walk backwards. Open the cover that protects the pick-up heads and see if you can access it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is called the pause lever knob, not a switch. I can fax you a picture of the unit showing the pause lever knob

You can post picture here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know how to post a picture here.

What are trying to do with the system? What was the problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you read my response sent you today at 12:55 pm. It's all explained in that response. Also, pictures are available on the akai.com web site.

OK do you have its service manual?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but I copied a few pages from on line. Why is it taking so long for your reply?

I was looking at some of my manuals to see if I have a copy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All of the other knobs are off. I"M ready to take the cover off but I do not see how to take the pause lever off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know this is an old reel to reel deck, so do you know of anyone or anywhere I can get it repaired?

I do not know anyone at this time but wil, look into this. I used to work on a shop that is now out of business

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to help me with this problem? If you want to try again tomorrow, because I have to leave in 20 minutes. Let me know when you ant to resume.

Can you take pictures and send to me here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can fax them to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pls respond, I have to go.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK what do you mean? Do we resume? If so, when and what time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, are u there

Sorry I am late. Weread you able to take some pictures?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to download the service manual but I didn't see anything on how to remove the pause level knob.

I sorry about that. I wish I can see a picture of the linkage

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't see inside the unit until I take the cover off. I can't take the cover off until I remove the last knob which is the pause lever knob. All the other knobs are removed.

So there is no screw or any other ways to disconnect it? Have you tried to take off one of the sides? Have you tried to pull a little bit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to take the other knobs off using either a phillip head screwdriver or an allen wrench. But this one appears to have been put on using a metal dowel or pin.

Well I am not sure what I can do to help. I will opt out and let the other experts try this