Neil, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in electronic repair and design.
15873252

I have a 8CH MPEG-4 DVR I'm trying to get back to a specific

Customer Question

I have a 8CH MPEG-4 DVR I'm trying to get back to a specific date. I tried hitting "search" like it says in the user manual but it just flashes instead of taking me to the search menu
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

What is the make and model number of the system, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I couldn't say how old this system is my mother purchased it for the pawn shop. I don't see anything on the box but the serial # ***** on the front it says 8CH MPEG-4 DVR. Could I take a picture of it and send it to you some how? Mabe by seeing it you'd had a better idea what make and model it could be.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you can attach pictures here using the paperclip icon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is a picture of dvr hope this helps.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I am not familiar with this model - I will see if another expert can assist.

Pete.

Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

How far back are you hoping to go? It is the serch function you use, is it coming up with a calendar with days highlighed ? These are the only days you can go back to...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well thats the problem I can't figure out how to even get into the search menu. When I hit search cameras flash and stop live feed but only allows me to rewind and fast forward. I can't figure out how to go to a sertain time in the search menu can't even pull up the search menu w any type of dates. I tried printing off a manual for the model that I see on the device.which ALL I see is 8ch MPEG-4 DVR.This search pulls up a manual but I'm afraid it's to a newer version of this model. IDK You saw the picture correct? DO you have a better idea what this make and model could be so mabe I can locate a more appropriate manual to print off? .
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

This is the only manual I could find:

http://www.idview.com/support/manuals/dvr/RIV_Users_Manual.pdf

You may have to stop the recording before you can access the search function...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you look on page 14 it looks like a different device than what I have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think this is the same manual I printed. If you go to section 4.3 it tells you how to do a search. But when I hit search on my device it does not pull up any type of menu.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like it only records back about 3-4 days. How do I get a longer record time?
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

You have to set the recording to "Motion" Sounds like you are on fulltime record which is bad for the life of the HDD and also means only a short record time period...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok how do I set it to motion? We are running a business so that is why the cameras are on full time. But I think that will work here setting it on motion only.
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

In the recording setup there will be an option for motion, use the manual I linked you it looks similar and will help... There is nothing lost by setting to motion...