Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Electronics technician for install, troubleshooting, and repairs.
59725966

I bought a new roku because they wrote and told me I needed

Customer Question

I bought a new roku because they wrote and told me I needed to replace my 6 yr. old one. I attempted to set it up but roku says I have an account. If I have one I never used it and if I needed one when I set the old one up the details, i.e.: email address and password ***** long gone into the ether. My email is [email protected] The password ***** I can deal with but what if anything the accounts' name is ***** ***** know and frankly this is just BS as I have no intention of buying anything from them. Haven't need them in 6 years and don't plan to now. But their nonsense is precluding the use of my new player. How can I set up? I do not want a new email account to suit them either.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

The roku account isn't about buying anything, and it isn't required that you purchase anything, but a valid roku account is required to use the device. It has to be linked to your roku account as that is how you get different apps/channels available on the device.

If you have an existing account, and know (and still have access to) your email address, then it is a simple matter of resetting the roku account password,

which you'll do online from your computer. Click here to do that: https://my.roku.com/password/reset

If you don't know what it was under then just go ahead and create a new roku account under your current email address - as long as there not an account already under your current email, it will go through just fine. This is simply a registration step to authorize the roku device and let you start using your apps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that before I spent 45$. They say I have a current account. I even tried resetting my password. It did not go through. Is there some way I can call them directly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They say there is a current account if there is it would be on my email. I.e.***@******.***. I tried signing in on that address but it wouldn't let me
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

If it won't let you, then you're using the wrong password, and would have to reset it via the link I sent.

If it didn't go through (you have to check your email, they will send you a confirmation email, you have to click on a link in it, which opens a web page, and prompts you to choose a new password), check your junk/spam folders.

Remember, you can always create a new account if that is easier (if you have another email address you can use), there is no cost to a roku account, unless you opt to purchase paid apps through it, which is not necessary.