Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Electronics technician for install, troubleshooting, and repairs.
59725966

I have an issue: my DVD player will not play region 2 DVDs

Customer Question

Hi. I have an issue: my DVD player will not play region 2 DVDs through my Denon act-x1200w receiver.
Here are the facts.
I had a Philips multi region DVD player. Working fine with my onkyo receiver.
Bought the new Denon receiver. The DVD player did not have Hdmi output - and other options did not work. So I also bought a new multi region DVD player (Philips dvp3690k)
I have a Samsung tv with 1080p and Drs.
When I want to play my region 2 DVD a message appear on the tv: "mode not supported. This resolution is not supported on this tv. Please change the resolution".
I changed the resolution on the DVD to 1080. Still not working. Are able to watch region 1 DVDs.
As the tv and DVD player were working (playing region 2 DVDs) before I got the Denon receiver it must be some setting on the receiver.
So that's the question. What could be the problem and how to solve it.
Thanks in advance.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

This is not a matter of resolution, but more likely an issue of formatting - your r2 discs will be PAL format, while the 1s are NTSC, and so is your tv.

Your old player was probably able to convert while the new one is not. I'm not sure if you still have the onkyo, but if you tested the new player on it, or even direct to the tv, I think you'll find the same issue. You'll need to find a setting (or a new player) that can actually convert pal to ntsc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I've sent an optional phone support offer at your request. If you prefer we can continue here in the chat format as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks for your response. Not really helping me.
It was when I got the Denon receiver that the DVD player did not work. I have two multi region DVD players. None of them work with the Denon. Tmi don't have the onkyo anymore.
Is there a pal/ntsc setting on the receiver. Did not exist on the DVD player.Other options?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I don't see any output setting adjustment on the dvd either - which just means it outputs the native format and relies on the tv to display it. The player isn't converting it at all.

Plug the dvd directly into the tv via hdmi (bypassing the denon) and let me know if it works that way, please.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

And yes, the Denon does have a ntsc/pal format option that you can adjust, but it would be a bit of a nuisance to change it every time, though you can certainly try.

If the TV isn't PAL capable, then it wouldn't matter anyway though really.

Go into the denon setup under Settings, then TV FORMAT and set ntsc/pal