Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Panasonic DMR EZ48V F60 code. wont power on. cannot select

Customer Question

Panasonic DMR EZ48V F60 code. wont power on. cannot select drive when it on for short time. if I wait 2 days unit powers up normally
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi Roger and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, please click HERE. The described symptom and displayed error code points to a developing internal hardware issue or more particularly, a failing component in the Digital circuit board for the DVD module.

The above would require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs.

If comfortably able and feel safe to do so, are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Equally important, could you make use of the repair/Service Manual or at the very least, the schematic diagrams?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the digital pcb a plug in board and can it be ordered from panasonic?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi again Roger and sorry for the delay as I had to run a search for potential sources of the digital PCB.

Sorry but no; the Digital PCB/board for this early 2009 model is no longer available. In the field, the approach is component level repair; i.e. the suspected parts are tested out-of-circuit by de-soldering and soldering in new parts if found defective.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sooooooo.........can you tell me which components must be replaced on the digital pcb ?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Great on the DIY!

Please click HERE.

The common culprits would be a number of electrolytic capacitors. The telltale signs would be blistered top and/or cracked plastic casing or even a chemical leak on the board (hopefully not). Please see reference image HERE. Rule of thumb is to replace with the same value in µF/V but higher temp rating; 105°.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Louie... looks like a soldering job. tell me what is best way to get board layout and component specs for the digital pcb?
Is there an alternative to going through panasonic?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Would an electronic copy of the repair/Service Manual (for a token fee) be of help?

For board replacement, not even the usual online sellers carry this particular board any longer. Please click HERE.

Even the SMD capacitor replacement approach may possibly be not enough in some instances.

Another try can be to very carefully re-heat the existing Digital P.C.B. using hot air soldering.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Louie .Sorry for the delay. Board layout and/or schematic AND component specs especially the electrolytic caps is what I would need to replace those caps on the Digital pcb. IF this info is contained in the repair manual and I can get the manual for a token cost then this is what I want to do.Can you send me this info or let me know what I need to do ?.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Roger, please click HERE. This is the Table of Contents of the Service Manual. There is no schematic diagram for the Digital P.C.B. but only instructions in its replacement; again sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.