green-owl
green-owl, Engineer
Experience:  I have a lot of experience with digital media.
14666028

I think I might be screwed. I accidentally deleted a voice

Customer Question

Hi Martin. I think I might be screwed. I accidentally deleted a voice recording from my Olympus VN 7100 recorder.
I want to recover it, but I can't connect the recorder to my computer. Should I try to remove the chip?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. Yes, definitely remove the chip and run the recovery on it. Be sure to save recovered files to your computer, not the chip.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how to remove the chip or where to put it to recover the contents.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Stand by, let me take another look.

Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

I don't think I'll be able to help you with this one. Don't rate my answer and you won't be charged twice.

Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

This question is now available for all experts.

Expert:  green-owl replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Sadly it is gone for good unless you are willing to pay a steep amount for a recovery by a forensic service company. The memory chip is embedded in that one and soldered with surface mount technique. Even if you are able to remove it with a reflow oven you won't be able to connect it to anything as it is not mounted on any connector interface. We are not even sure of what file system it internally use. The VN7100 does not have undelete manager of any kind in the menu (like the trashcan can do on desktop computers). Again, sorry for the bad news.