green-owl
green-owl, Engineer
Experience:  I have a lot of experience with digital media.
14666028

Trying to hook up two DVDs recorders so one plays the DVD

Customer Question

trying to hook up two DVDs recorders so one plays the DVD and the other records it. The one DVD player is hooked up to tv. I have another 3 plug cord to hook from that player to my, other dvd recorder but do not know where to plug the cord in on each player. Help.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Make and Model of each DVD unit please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ILO DVDR04 & SONY RDR-GX255
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, you can't have the recorder record "through" the TV- the PLAY unit must be hooked directly to the RECORD unit- then the record unit is connected to the TV.

How you would record is to plug the Red,White and Yellow RCA "Output" jacks on the ILO, to the Red,White and Yellow "Input" jacks on the Sony. This sends the signal from the Ilo to the Sony to be able to record.

Then you will monitor the recording on the TV by connecting the Sony's Red,White and Yellow "OUTPUTS" to the TV- and select that as the source.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me explain what I have done so far. Currently, the ILO is the DVD player connected to the TV. I can watch DVDs ok. So, I hooked up the Other recorder (SONY) with the cord. On the ILO, I plugged in the red, yellow, white to the COMP OUT. Then connected the other end to the SONY in the Line 1 IN. I put the movie disk in the ILO and pressed play and pushed the record button on the SONY. To see if it worked I put the disk into the ILO and chose play. The picture recorded but not in color, and no sound. Please be specific as to what I am doing wrong.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

What you are doing wrong is connecting Red,Yellow and White to "component out" since component is 5 RCA jacks.

Plug those cables into "AV IN" and MATCH the colors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, sorry this is so confusing for me. I am going to try and see if it records. Will respond in a minute.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

No worries, let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I still put the movie in the ILO and record on the SONY.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Yes, just the way you had it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Something must still be wrong. But, I don't have time to finish it right now. Can I try later?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Yes, but I have to step away so will opt out- which simply opens the question to other experts to assist. You can reply back at any time.

Expert:  green-owl replied 1 year ago.

Hi. If you have B&W it is because like Aric said that you used the component instead of the composite. That said the Sony only have a composite IN (yellow red white) and no component IN. That mean that you need to use composite to composite. I never have luck to find ILO documentation (always like that with store brand) so i don't know how they labeled the composite output but on the Sony they call that output "line out".

Note that the copy made that way is analog and not digital, that mean that you will suffer a quality loss just like a copy from a VCR tape to another VCR tape. To copy without loss, a computer with a DVD recorder can be used. You only need one by copying a disk image to the computer and then copying the disk image to a blank disk.