Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Karaoke Systems Manager, signal specialist, all recorders and players expert
63817454

The Sony NWZ-A17 that I will soon have supports the

Customer Question

The Sony NWZ-A17 that I will soon have supports the following audio formats: mp3, wma, flac, l-pcm, aac, he-aac, alac and aiff. What's the difference between the formats and where and how can I get music to download in those formats? I have a substantial
collection of CDs - when I rip music from those CDs, what format should I use and can I tell the difference between CD quality and any of the formats that may have better numbers? I will be using a pair of Thinksound ms01 headphones with the NWZ-17.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. MP3 is the most popular format, you definitely want to rip your CDs to mp3. .wma is Windows Media Audio, and is less compatible with some software and players. FLAC is a compressed format, hardly compatible. The others are Apple formats.

When you rip, you want to go to .mp3, 44.1khz. That is a CD quality mp3 and will work best with your Sony, and will preserve your songs for use on other devices in the future.