Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a Panasonic VB-430 PBX system in my home. Have had it

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic VB-430 PBX system in my home. Have had it for many trouble free years. Recently the page alert pops on and off on it's own. What card do I need to replace to solve this problem?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

In this case you have a problem that is more difficult than you have stated in your question, as it were.

First, it's an aging system. Second, such phone systems, of that vintage, don't take kindly to inexpert or careless board-swapping... they are very susceptible to damage from static discharge, often, and also sensitive to rough handling. So if you do any work on it, be sure you know about, and completely observe, anti-static discharge precautions... and actually wear an anti-static band and grounding strap on one wrist, and also no wool clothing, no glass sheeting, etc.

Since the system is getting old, and is delicate too, I suggest (if you can observe and do what I just mentioned above in the way of careful treatment) that what it needs the most, is to be shut down, turned Off, unplugged, and to have the boards removed (and placed on either sheet aluminum or aluminum foil, or otherwise very much protected against static discharge damage) then have the cabinet and slots that the boards fit into, cleaned out thoroughly with a powerful blower or air compressor, out of doors.

Also use the compressor on the removed boards and esp. their edge connectors, *not* touching them with the compressor or nozzle, just with the air blast.

Then carefully reassemble the system again.

That might do it good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Russ,
I'm familiar with the nature of these boards. This system was in one of my factory buildings in NJ and I brought it to AZ when I retired and relocated to AZ. This is the first time this system has acted up. What I need to know from you what board or boards need to be changed to eliminate the page alert from sounding on it's own. Along with the page alert some of the lights under the push buttons also flash. Otherwise the system is operating normally. I have several sets of boards on hand as I had these systems in several buildings. I can program them if needed.Horace
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
far, Russell, you haven't answered my question. Have I stumped you?Horace
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry - I was offline owing to an equipment failure at my usual business location at and around midday on Saturday.

And other business, etc., kept me busy Saturday evening. For this and the result, my not responding promptly on Saturday, I apologize.

But perhaps you have 'stumped' me, for I admit that the data you ask for is not readily available to me.

If you'd prefer to take your chances of another Expert picking up this case, that might have the precise information about the malfunction that you need, I will Opt Out of this case at your request, opening the case to other Experts in this category.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Russell I'm aware of the age and nature of these components. I'm also aware that any one of my extension phones may cause this problem as well as one of the boards in the rack. I just thought that for $19.00 I might get someone who had recent experience. Sorry, it's 19 bucks up in smoke and no easy fix. That's life. I'll have to spend the time and chase the problem myself. Sorry to bother you.
Horace
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

The money you paid for JustAnswer.com service is not 'up in smoke', I don't think.

If a phone might cause the problem, eliminate the phones one by one, by disusing and turning Off or disconnecting one of them - if this is at all possible.

If the boards are attached to different phones, then once you have eliminated the phones - all of them hopefully - then you can disuse on board at a time, and similarly see if the error stops at any time. And just possibly all this testing - with some accompanything device-reset and re-plugging - may fix the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You Guys have been no help. I call an and to our dialogue. You are apparently not experts on this equipment.
Over and out,
Horace
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I have Opted Out, allowing others (who may be more helpful) to add their advice, if any more advice on the matter is to be had here. Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Guys, credit my card with the $19.00. Your experts were no help in this instance. Perhaps because the system is so old.
At any rate I'll troubleshoot it myself. I just thought I could save time and spend the $19.00. Your Guys are just not old enough. I installed this system and maintain it. I'm only 85.
Horace