Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Just got a 2nd hand sony TC we605S tape deck. will not drive

Customer Question

just got a 2nd hand sony TC we605S tape deck. will not drive tapes on either side.
Any ideas?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

- Does motor rotation or click sound hear when press Play or FWD or REW button on player?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it goes brr (very short) then clunk.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Do you get same sound/ clunk on both tape decks?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - on the non-record side it goes brrr for longer time then just stops - no clunk
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, it seems rubber belts on both tape mechanism are worn out thus do not drive the mechanism to load/ unload to drive the cassette tape, rubber belts tend to worn out. crack/ loose after 2-3 years and replacement of belts of both mechanism is required to resolve the issue.

I can provide you service manual copy of this player if you are looking to repair it yourself and have expertise to do so OR need to take the player to nearest repair shop for service and belts replacement. I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much to finish this call.
I appreciate your input but it didn't fix it.
Bought deck for $40 so no use going to store
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

I wish I had better news about player or can put my hands on it from here to replace the belts. I understand that its price is low so nothing to lose if try to take it as do-it-yourself project.

Please contact customer service at***@******.*** for billing query because I have no control over such matters and working here as a tech only. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

Thanks.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hi, do you need any further assistance with it?

Thanks.