Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Electronics technician for install, troubleshooting, and repairs.
59725966

We are in New Zealand and have a Panasonic DMP-B200 Portable

Customer Question

Hi Guys, We are in New Zealand and have a Panasonic DMP-B200 Portable Blu-Ray Disc Player. We are trying to play a DVD which has come from the US but it appears we are in the wrong region. Do you know how we can unlock the player so we can play DVDs from anywhere please. Kind Regards Malcolm
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. Not all players can be set to region free. Some are chipped and region locked. Were you told this model was region free when you bought it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Freddy, Not sure as we are rather challenged technology wise with these sorts of things. I understand there are hack code available which unlock players but have been unable to locate hack codes for the particular player we have.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

No as I just said, Not all players can be set to region free/unlocked. Some are chipped and region locked. Were you told this model was region free when you bought it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cannot remember sorry
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

I am going to need to opt out and open this to all experts.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Honestly, there isn't anything you can do in this case. The problem here is that the player is designed for and locked to a specific region while you're attempting to play a disc from another region. These region codes were set up by the movie studios to help prevent piracy, and there is no easy way around them. The reason you are finding no hack/code for your model is because one simply does not exist, and it is not possible to modify the capabilities of this unit.

This region coding protocol is physically built into the hardware (chips on the control board) of the player, and changing it would require physical modifications to the player (swapping out chips) that would void the warranty and often permanently damage the player. Multiregion functionality is virtually never in a basic/portable model player like this, a proper region free unit would cost 3 time as much, for obvious reasons of requiring additional hardware and software.

Your best options are to re-purchase the discs you want to play in your country with the proper region code, or buy a purpose made region-free player that does not have this hardware restriction.

I'm sorry there isn't a better answer here, it's simply a design limitation of the player. Even if you were told it was available, the seller was either dishonest or misinformed.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nathan, Many thanks for the reply. Was not what I was hoping for but that's the breaks
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. If you'd like some help finding a region free player, I'd be happy to advise on that.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1gHgj1k

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,