Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a DR430KU DVD Recorder that will not stay on. I press

Customer Question

I have a DR430KU DVD Recorder that will not stay on. I press the power button and it goes back off in about 2 seconds.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. How long have you owned the Toshiba for and when did the issue occur? Were there any storms or power outages?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had it for two years. It started do this a few weeks ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No outages that I know of.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply. Typically the recorder shutting itself right down after power up would indicate a hardware failure (the power supply PCB most commonly). There's no settings or adjustments that will cause the unit to shut itself off.

It would be worth trying a hard reset on the unit. Please disconnect the player from power, then press and hold the power button on the player itself (not the remote) for 10 seconds then release. Wait a minute then plug it back in and press power once. Try this procedure up to 3 times if it has the same symptoms and let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still doing the same thing.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Does the display come up even for a second?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It comes on for 1 or 2 seconds then goes back off.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, unfortunately this would indicate a failure in the power supply PCB of the Toshiba, which requires replacement of this part. The PCB is at the link below for $85 if you're looking to repair this yourself, but offhand since the player can be replaced for about $170- it does not make much sense to put that kind of money into the player. The Power supply PCB is below- but is actually showing as NLA (no longer available) through that site:

https://www.encompassparts.com/item/8212540/Toshiba/79104950/Pc_Board_Assy,_Power__Av_Board

Alternatively a shop would charge $200 parts and labor for this repair, and that is not cost effective at all I'm afraid.

All you can try on a user level is to leave the machine unplugged from power for several hours or more in the hopes that it resets. If not, the replacement of the Toshiba is the most cost effective route to take.

I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If not, could you please click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.