Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Have a new kvision 8 channel dvr 7208 series video. operated

Customer Question

have a new hikvision 8 channel dvr 7208 series for security video. operated fine for two weeks, now get no signal input on monitor. checked monitor and tried one known to work. same problem. Any ideas?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the DVR is starting up and showing normal signs of life, but never showing anything on the monitor, then something is seriously wrong with it.

But first check

A. the cable... are you using the same cable from the DVR for all monitors you have tried with it?

B. make sure the monitor is set (if it has more than one signal input and a setting to select input sources or Signal Source) to the right Signal Source or input selection.

After which, it is safe enough to return the DVR promptly as defective merchandise, for an exchange hopefully if you are prompt enough in contacting the vendor or store and if the return-exchange period has not run out. If it has run out, the DVR should still be covered by the manufacturer's warranty, though getting redress via a warranty claim is long-drawn-out compared to a return-exchange or return-refund.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not much help how can i fix it? Already mentioned in my question comments that I have switched out several monitors known to work on other computers. Ruling out that the problem was the monitor. There much be a reason this happened after working fine for two weeks. Can I connect directly with a computer and access the dvr menu and see if there are any settings problems?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

IF both the DVR and all equipment attached to it, had equal stable and well-connected grounds at the same voltage level, *and* if the DVR and immediately attached equipment were powered through surge protector(s), then the failure is that of circuitry that fails. It does happen. And when it happens with new equipment, aside from the precautions and care just mentioned, it is somewhat unavoidable. That is what warranties are for, or return-exchange terms.

Connecting directly with a computer to adjust settings - what settings would there be? a monitor is a monitor.

(Is there more than one possible monitor port on the DVR? if so, then that might be the setting to look for, of course: choice of monitor. ...but I really doubt it, and if there is really only one monitor port, then only one possible setting might need changing - if there is such a setting: the 'no monitor' setting.