Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My 5 CD Player tray will not close.

Customer Question

My 5 CD Player tray will not close.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, What CD player are you referring to here- what is the Brand and Model please?

Also how long have you owned it for an when did the problem occur?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DVD_F87
It is very old. Problem just started yesterday.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply. Is there any chance a disc is stuck or jammed preventing the door from closing?

Also have you tried unplugging the unit and plugging it back in to see if that makes a difference?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe there is a disc in there but I tried turning it upside down to try to get it to slide down but that did not work.Yes unplugging it did not work. I tried to unscrew the top but can not get the screws out because it is neither a regular screw driver or a Phillips head.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, proposed preliminary try (if have not been done) is to unplug (again) for an extended period of time. Then, press and hold the front panel's OPEN/CLOSE button while plugging back in.

If there would be a whirring sound/vibration but still no tray movement, then it would be an internal hardware issue; either the loading/unloading belt is loose, slipping (most likely) or completely broken or the motor that it is coupling has faulted (least likely). Another (likely) possibility would be a gearing system concern.

The screw can possibly be needing an allen wrench or a variety of it.