Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Electronics technician for install, troubleshooting, and repairs.
59725966

I bought a Roku3 and can't seem to get to work. It is model

Customer Question

I bought a Roku3 and can't seem to get to work. It is model 4230x sn 4e755k000715. I want to use my wi-fi. The router and wi-fi are located upstairs. I have cable television now. Do I unhook the cable from cox? I also have a sound bar. Do I plug the hdmi cable into the sound bar or the TV. I did get the remote paired as the light blinks. Once it comes on do I have to go upstairs to my computer to log on and get registered? I would appreciate answers to my questions. Do I turn on the TV and then start the Roku? Thanks
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

There are a few steps needed here for the initial setup process.

You need to hook the roku up to the tv via hdmi cable. This is a separate connection than your existing soundbar, cable box, etc.
Don't change or disconnect anything else.

Hook roku to the tv, lets say on hdmi2 for example, then set the tv to the corresponding input mode (hdmi2, or wherever you've plugged the roku into).

From there you'll press the Home or Ok button on the roku remote to wake up the roku box.

You'll see the roku on screen setup menu, which has an auto setup wizard to guide you through the initial settings. It will first ask you to pick your home wifi network name from a list and then enter your wifi password.
Once connected, it will ask you to register your roku. For that you'll be presented with a code number on the computer screen, and you'll go (On the computer) to roku.com/link

There you'll enter that code from the tv, and either sign in to your existing roku account, or set up a new account.

From that point you can begin using the roku normally, adding "channels", opening apps such as netflix, etc. The first time you use each app (such as netflix) you'll generally be prompted to sign in to that particular app as well, as many require a subscription/account to use.

Let me know if you get stuck,