Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I was changing the layout of the TV and devices. Prior to

Customer Question

I was changing the layout of the TV and devices. Prior to the change my Panasonic DMR-ES30V was working normally. I unplugged everything and when I plugged my VHS/DVD unit back in there was no power. We tried multiple plugs, but still no power. I've checked that all the cables are in and where they belong, and still no power to the vhs/dvd player. All other devices have power.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, is the Panasonic DMR-ES30V completely / electrically dead? ...or does it show some indication of power such as a standby or blinking light(s) ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Totally dead
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

...am not sure if this what you meant with "...tried multiple plugs...", but can you please try plugging in the DMR-ES30V to another outlet?

And if this would be an internal hardware issue, are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not a DIY person. I'm just puzzled why the player would have power one minute and then the next nothing when all I did was change how everything was plugged in. We have tried multiple plugs and still no power.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
multiple plugs = multiple outlets and/or power strips
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

I understand.

Bear with me as I review the repair/Service Manual.

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

This particular model uses a switch mode power supply and considering its age, the capacitors are highly suspect. These parts tend to leak and can cause power issues including sudden death among others.

All of the above would require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected.

Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.