Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I am trying to identify an old symphonic record player

Customer Question

I am trying to identify an old symphonic record player unknown mod. # ***** from 40s or early 50s it has a 3 tube amplifier and it is a 3 speed portable suitcase with red alligator vinyl covering one of the tubes is 35z5, another is50l6 the 3rd. one i cant read the # ***** help you can give me would be great Thanks L Tippett
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, If you can post a picture of the unit- as well as the unit without the bottom cover attached (or simply the inside where we can see the innards) that would be helpful.

Offhand is there is a loud hum, as well as a audio playing in the background- this would indeed be the filter caps (usually multi-cap "cans") as this is typically the case with any tube amplifier. The 35Z5 is your rectifier, the 50L6 your power tube, and the 3rd would likely be an octal preamp tube. With one power tube- this would be a MONO unit.

You can match up the caps by pulling the UF and voltage ratings off each one, and match them up with separate caps, or multi-section cans at:

http://www.tubesandmore.com

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.