Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I picked up a rowe cd-100c super cheap and the problem is it

Customer Question

hello, i picked up a rowe cd-100c super cheap and the problem is it finds the selection grabs it puts on player. spins for about 45 seconds then returns dics to slot, keeps doing this and never plays. i checked for codes and cleared all and now i get a sytem error exists. the code is 14-04 the system error light is on the ccc.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

The 14-04 error means "defaults have been loaded".

It will load the default settings when the memory is unable to hold your custom settings.

The most likely cause of this is a bad CMOS battery on the CCC - try replacing the small CMOS battery and let me know if that resolves the issue for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where would i find a new battery for this? online or would radio schack have one?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can get a replacement battery from Radio Shack or any other electronics store, or you can get them online:
http://www.amazon.com/SONY-CR2032-Equivalent-CMOS-battery/dp/B000A0RIHI/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok will grab one tonight and install, will let you know if it works.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me know if you need anything else at all :)
Best,
Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok well new battery is in and no errors, but still does same thing finds cd picks it up put it on player, spins for about 45 seconds no sound at all and picks it back up and puts it away?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so there is a further fault with the machine..
it may be unable to read the discs.
Can you try cleaning the optical lens and let me know if there is any improvement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cleaned the lens still nothing, is there a procedure i have to do after new battery install?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
No, nothing else except clear the error after installing the new battery.
If cleaning the lens did not help then the machine likely has a mechanical fault and will need to be serviced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what involved in service, i am sure i can do anything a service man can do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could the cd player be bad? has to be something else to check.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
the CD player could also be bad - the motor could be worn out inside it or the optical lens could have failed. There are many, many things that could cause this problem which is why the machine will need a full service.
Most of the servicing is cleaning, replacing worn parts and recalibrating the machine.
If you have a service manual, then you can follow the steps contained within it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont have time for phone call. I paid for service that really was not much help i expected a little more than i already know and did. So i will seek help elsewhere. All this site wants is more money!!!
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I am a user of this site, just like you.
You can ignore any automated messages offering phonecalls if you don't want one.