Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Good Morning.I have a Samsung HDMI capable TV, and a Direct TV DVR. Mo

Customer Question

Good Morning.
I have a Samsung HDMI capable TV, and a Direct TV DVR. Most times when I record a movie from the DVR there is no problem with playback. However there are times when I begin to play the disc and after several minutes it blaacks out and I get a message that component video cables must be used. I have such cables installed between the Toshiba and the TV, and I switch to them, but no luck. Any way around this apparent copyright block?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
The copyright block is being caused by the DirecTv DVR itself since you've already tried switching to Component, and you would want to contact DirecTv to swap out the DVR. This equipment is owned by DTV and therefore they're responsible for their equipment. Since the TV has no problem displaying live TV, the issue is not with the TV itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aric,I would say this happens to one out of ten recordings to disc. When I playback the signal from the recorder bypasses the DirecTV DVR and goes directly to the TV. The component cables do not go thru the DirecTV DVR so why would there be a problem with playback?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
So, if your recorder somehow bypasses the DTV DVR, then what recorder do you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The recorder, a Toshiba DVR620KU bypasses the DirecTV DVR on the playback side. The connection from the DirecTVDVR to the TV is via HDMI cable. On recorded discs that playback without a problem go from the Toshiba to the TV via another HDMI cable which also bypasses the DirectTV DVR on the playback side. There is nothing wrong with the TV. The recordings are made from the DirecTV DVR to the Toshiba. Records fine except for that 1 in 10 that says in order to play back it has to be done via component cables which are connected directly from the Toshiba DVR to the TV. So I do not see what this has to do with the with the DirecTV DVR during playback.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
This is the first I've seen regarding a Toshiba "Recorder", so without all the info stated originally, it's hard to accurately troubleshoot. I will have to opt out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry, can you pass it on to another tech please? Thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
No worries, I've opted out which opens the question to other experts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your time.