Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

A CD is stuck in the slot and won't come out.

Customer Question

Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, A CD is stuck in the slot of what? Make and Model of device please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cambridge Soundworks Radio CD 740
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you. Taking a look at this model right now. Can you tell me if pressing and holding Eject gives you the sound of the eject motor "trying" to remove the disc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I hold in the "eject" button, I hear a brief 'motor' sound and the message "CD Reset" comes into view.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Please unplug the system from power, then press and hold the power button on the system itself (not the remote), for 15 seconds and release. Wait a minute, then while pressing and holding Eject, plug the system back into power. Continue to hold eject until the disc ejects, or for 20 seconds- whichever comes first . Let me know what happens please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, nothing happened. Want me to repeat?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Did the machine make the eject noise when you pressed and held eject- or was there no response?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It made the eject noise. (And I just tried again.)
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay please try that up to three more times, as it's our only hope on a user level to correct it. Also can you please tell me when/how this occurred? Was it working fine and then stopped, or was it un-used for a period of time prior to this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I"ve now tried it a total of three times. Can you tell me why the "CD Reset" message comes up?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
That is a general error code- simply meaning the system cannot play the disc. Can you please tell me when/how this occurred? Was it working fine and then stopped, or was it un-used for a period of time prior to this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I was using the radio, and three days ago tried inserting a CD. I'mnot sure of the prior CD disc history. I hadn't used it for a long time.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, please check this FAQ from Cambridge Soundworks and see if you can correct the issue: Reset for SoundWorks Radio CD 745i or SoundWorks Radio CD 740Step1: Unplug unit for approximately 10 minutesStep2: Plug unit back in and then press and hold the CD IN button until the screen reads CD RESET.Sometimes if the CD does not respond, pull the plug and re-apply power within 15 seconds. Sometimes a completely discharged state casues a lockup of the CD subsystem.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any luck?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I'm sorry.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay and unfortunately this indicates a hardware failure in the unit that requires service.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
This indicates that the disc mechanism has one or more parts that are out of spec (usually capacitors, or a gear will dry up preventing the unit from operating normally). I would suggest giving CS a call (I know they don't build AV equipment anymore- but they still may have repair service in place): Cambridge Soundworks: 1-***-***-**** If not then you can also try the following link to locate a repair shop in your area: www.stereorepair.com I'm sorry for the bad news on this one and wish there were a quick fix. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.