Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I am trying to hook-up my Roku 3 device. I've followed the

Customer Question

I am trying to hook-up my Roku 3 device. I've followed the steps to the point where I turn on the tv and a screen is supposed to pop up on the tv so I can proceed to configure the network. It's a blank screen. The manual said to make sure the input matches. I hooked it up with an HDMI cable and plugged that into the HDMI 1 location on the back of the tv. When I try to change to that input using the tv remote it will only cycle between the dvd input and the satellite tv input ... it physically will not go to the HDMI 1. Grrrr! How do I get it to move to that input?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Have you tried different HDMI cable as existing cable could be defective?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But isn't it going to be a problem that I can't change the input on my tv? This cable is brand new ... never used. I have another cable so I'll try that real quick.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Sure, try another HDMI cable and reply back with the result.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No change. Same issue. This cable is also brand new.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, have you tried to unplug TV and Roku power cords from wall outlet for 5 minutes to reset, replug back in and check?
If not yet, can you try it now and reply back with the result?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay unplugged both. Five minutes will be 10:53AM MST for me. Are you going to stick with me until after that?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I'm here with you, reply back with the result please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They both power on. But the tv shows Video 2 SAT TV input on the screen not any Roku message like I'm supposed to see. This is where the Roku manual says to make sure that I've selected the HDMI input on the tv. But, the tv won't let me, it just cycles between the SAT TV and the Video 1 DVD/COMP inputs and won't go to the others.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
I understand, TV HDMI input will enable when it get video/ control signals from connected video device and if video/ control signals are missing then HDMI input will not be available in source list or stay grayed out (disable).
It seems Roku box isn't sending out video output to TV thus unable to select HDMI input in TV, please return this Roku box and ask for replacement which will help to resolve the problem as Roku logo screen should appear on first time hook up to proceed for further setup.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This didn't help at all. I just paid $28 to find out I need to pay more money to replace the device. There is no warranty anymore so I would just have to pay another $88 for a new one. The device lights up so it seems to be working. I don't get it. VERY FRUSTRATED!!!
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
I wish I had better news about Roku device and there is no way to fix hardware failure over internet nor this device is repairable, in case of any issue entire box will be replaced.
If Roku box is out of warranty then you need to buy another box. If you dislike the answer or disagree, just leave this answer as it is and do not rate it at all, select "relist" option on this page to get another expert opinion.
Thanks.