Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Louie, Bill here. Several days ago my DMP-BD85 player stopped

Customer Question

Hi Louie, Bill here. Several days ago my DMP-BD85 player stopped showing DVDs and BlueRay disks full screen on my Samsung flat screen. TV displays full screen for TV channels. Combination has worked with no issue for the past several years. I've tried every combination I could think of in SETUP mode with no luck. I even reset the player to factory defaults with no luck. The TV displays DVDs in a small area in the center of the screen. Any ideas?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bill and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the requested question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the TV. Additionally, please describe how the DMP-BD85 is connected to the TV using what kind of cable(s).
And have you tried pressing the DMP-BD85's PIP button a couple of times?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Samsung model UN55D6000SF
connection cable is DVI
I don't know what the PIP is
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Appreciate the additional in formation.
Can you please check the original remote control for the DMP-BD85? ...there would be a PIP button below the 0 button.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pressed PIP button multiple times - no response that I could tell
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
I understand.
How about the P.SIZE button of the TV remote please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SmartView 1
Sorry for the delay. TV is downstairs and this PC is upstairs
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Sorry; "...SmartView 1..." ?
The P.SIZE button on the TV remote would be below the MTS button. Have you tried pressing on it a couple of times?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I press the P.SIZE button the words, "Smart View 1" appear on the screen. The same action happens each time I press the button
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, the full text is "Picture Size Smart View 1"
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Appreciate your patience Bill and the "Picture Size" message is significant.
To my understanding, this TV model has also a PIP feature. Can you please try watch a DVD movie disc and then when the movie is showing turn OFF just the TV? Wait 5 minutes and then turn the TV back ON please.
incidentally, how was the reset on the DMP-BD85 done? unit off + press & hold OK, B & Y buttons on the remote?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To restore factory settings I turned off the player, then press & hold OK, B, & Y buttons on the remote.
I'll be away 5 - 10 minutes doing your TV power off sequence.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I inserted a DVD into the player and started it playing. When I turned off the TV, the player also turned off - yes I was using the TV remote and not the player remote. It appears that I can't run the player without the TV being powered up.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
I understand.
But was the DVD picture restored to full screen when turned back on/playing the disc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no. I just repeated the procedure with the same results. For your information the following is displayed when the TV is turned on:
1920 1080/60p HDMI/DVI
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Bill,
Can we please try unplugging both the TV and the player for a longer period? And would it be possible to try another of the HDMI slot of the TV? Better yet (only if available), another HDMI cable?
Please post back results/observations after has been tried.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I disconnected power from TV and player.
I moved player DVI cable from HDMI slot 1 to slot 3
I waited more than 10 minutes.
When I powered up the boxes, the TV display came up full screen - it works.
Can you give me a short description of why the last procedure worked?Later, I'll move the HDMI cable back to slot 1, just to see what happens.I think we can close out this issue.
Thanks Louie
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
It was actually an issue with the TV setting and it has this feature that if turned off, it performs a "soft" RESET reverting to default size. It is also the PIP; picture-in-picture.