Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

Pioneer CT1280-WR Dual Cassette Deck. Both decks,

Customer Question

Pioneer CT1280-WR Dual Cassette Deck. Both decks, end-of-tape mechanism shuts off transport after only a few seconds of play. Either direction. Several different cassettes. Can this shutoff be repaired or disabled? How? Thank you, ***** *****
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve,
If the tape deck has been out of use for a while then the drive belts can start to slip or may even be loose or broken, causing the deck to think that the end of the tape has been reached.
The drive belts will need to be examined and replaced if worn or broken, and the inside of the deck could probably do with a good clean out as well, if it hasn't been serviced in a while.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As long as the tape runs, it runs fine. Sounds more to me as if the trip mechanism is stiff, sticky, or whatever, and so is too sensitive, very likely from inactivity.
The service manual has exploded parts diagrams but says nothing about mechanism service. There is a local shop that might handle this, IF I can trust them. I was hoping for some information on the automatic shutoff mechanism.
Thanks,
Steve
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve,
The information, diagrams, etc are all contained in the service manual.
If the local shop does not have a copy, it is available at:
http://www.servicemanuals.net/ServiceManual/PIONEER/CT1280WR/508858/detail.aspx
Best,
Pete.