Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have 2 used Sony CX995v units (400 disc DVD players). Neither

Customer Question

I have 2 used Sony CX995v units (400 disc DVD players). Neither ejects halfway as supposed to, and both are bad at reading homemade DVDs (I didn't open the box yet to clean lens). Also I cannot stop either unit trying to read a weak/homemade disc until it shuts off. Thanks in advance. Randy
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hello Randy,
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.
First, try running a cleaning disc in the units, or clean the lens manually.
If the problem persists then the laser intensity may be weak.
If the discs are not ejecting halfway, then try applying some silicone grease to the moving parts of the disc eject mechanism to help it move more smoothly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete--I sent an answer but in a popup block that said you were online now, and seemed to be connected with the ans. you gave re. cleaning the lens. (I would try 90% alcohol if 100% not avail.). I had another comment or so. I wonder if it got to you. I promised therein to pay up if answers did the job, and I said...well, let me know if you got/didn't get that msg/reply, and I'll type one up again.Randy H
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Randy,
I only got your most recent message.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Confusion reins. Cannot know what msgs you recvd. Perhaps you cd quote them/last in any reply. Emails say several things about my msgs or attempts to you.I have not rushed to ck out the lens-clean idea you sent--I saw that one, but knew it already. Checking the laser would come if the lens-cleaning failed. For that check, I'll need your advice. HOWEVER, the company billed my Visa instantly, before any conclusion has been reached, and that is not the offer that was made, which was that payment comes if user is satisfied. I cannot be satisfied until the advice giving is done and I've checked it out. As I am a caretaker for a cancer patient and involved in driving to treatments and so on, rushing to open up the box and try the advice is not done yet, and I am disappointed to be billed so prematurely. I'll open the box and try the lens-cleaning, test it, and get back to you. If lasers must be checked, that will be perhaps a technical matter?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
You can see all messages on this page when you log in.
You pay a deposit to the company, and a portion of that is transferred to me upon completion of your question.
Let me know when you get a chance to try the lens-cleaning kit.
Have a good weekend!
Pete.