Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Panasonic Blue Ray DVD fairly new. Model No. DMP-BD89.

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic Blue Ray DVD fairly new. Model No. DMP-BD89. The last two times I've tried to play a DVD it starts out fine and once into the movie, it starts stalling, I lose the audio and this message keeps popping up "Mode not supported. Resolution not supported. Change resolution of external device."
The booklet that came with the DVD offers no help.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the TV. Additionally, please describe how the DMP-BD89 is connected to the TV using what kind of cable(s).And have you tried the same discs on another player or the DMP-BD89 to another TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model number reflected on the booklet cover is as follows:
DMP-BD89
DMP-BD79What kind of cable should it be? And why would that matter since the device has worked fine until the last two times and we've done nothing different with a cable.Lastly, yes, I've played the disc on our other Blue Ray player and it works fine so it's not the disc.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but was asking about the TV model. It appears that the TV is not recognizing the video signal of the player hence:describe how the DMP-BD89 is connected to the TV using what kind of cable - if HDMI, then try (as a test) to lower the output resolution of the player and note if message persist;have you tried...the DMP-BD89 to another TV - as it may possibly be a TV issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, it's a Samsung Model E - HDTV and it's only about 2 years old. What should I lower the output to?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Anything lower than the current settings. If currently 1080, then try 720 please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, why does a disc play normally for 5 to 10 minutes and then begin to go out with the message repeatedly showing on the screen. I'll try the 720.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Its either the TV or the player; the TV loosing capability to process HDMI signals or the player unable to sustain HD quality particularly if up-converting. Other tests that could be considered/tried:connecting/playing the DMP-BD89 on another TV;change the HDMI cable;using another player with the Samsung TV