Joe
Joe, Technician
Experience:  ASE cert tech for over 12 years, Auto, Marine and Home Electronics professional
20508815

I just installed a Sony Blu-ray Disc/DVD Player, BDP-s3100

I just installed a Sony Blu-ray Disc/DVD Player, BDP-s3100 so that I could stream Netflix to the TV to which the player is connected. My home wireless network showed weak signal to the Sony, so I installed a Netgear repeater system to get a stronger signal. I still can not link up to Netflix. Netflix videos have been downloaded to my computer, and I can play them on the computer, but can not get them to the Sony and hence to the TV. I must be doing something very simple incorrectly. Can you help me?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using
justanswer.com, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your
concern today.

One thing I always wish to try and do is let you know if
something comes up and I am not able to reply back right away but this is
sometimes something I cannot avoid. I will always try to reply back to you
right away however please understand that I may be busy answering another
customer back and thus it may sometimes take time to reply back to you. As soon
as I return I will be sure to reply back to you as soon as I am able to.

Are you sure you are using the bluray player to connect to Netflix and that you are not trying to use your tv?

What is the make and model number of your tv?

After connecting the repeater does it still show weak wireless signal?

How far is the bluray player from the router?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I am not sure. The remote for the Sony has a Netflix switch, but it gives no response. the remote for the TV, a Vizio 39 tesla, has a Netflix switch which attampts to launch Netflix with the results described.

The signal strength appears to be adequate. The Netgear repeater consists of two components; a transmitter which plugs into my Comcast cable modem, and a receiver which cables to the Sony

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

So you are saying that the tv also has a Netflix button and that the tv is what you are trying to use to launch Netflix, correct?

I just need to be sure if you are using the bluray player to launch Netflix or the tv.... Some think that because it is seen on the tv seen that it is the tv and vise versa the bluray player, so I need to be exactly sure which you are trying to use for it?

Also lets say you are using the tv to try and launch the Netflix app, have you then tried using the bluray player to launch the Netflix app on it instead? This would be by connecting the internet to the bluray player as well, which it actually needs for updates.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Joe: I just tried to use the Sony remote to launch Netflix, with no success. At first, it appeared that the Sony remote did nothing, so I checked to make sure I had its batteries correctly installed, (duh!) and that was OK. The remote turns the Sony on and off, and the open/close operates the DVD door as it should, but nothing else on the remote gives any response at all.

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

If you set the tv to the bluray source whatever that is such as hdmi1, if you press menu on the bluray player remote does the bluray (sony) menu come up?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Joe: The Blu-ray needed a software update! It is now in progress! I assume it will tell me what to do upon its completion. Hope springs eternal!!

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Once it finishes the update you will then go into the Netflix app and it will give you a link and a website to enter that link... once you have then activated that device on your Netflix account you can then use the Netflix button and access your Netflix account.

If
you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.

Thanks,

Joe

Bonuses
are appreciated. If you feel you need to leave a 1-2 happy face/rating with
poor/bad please instead reply back to me via the reply to expert button. The
first two rating faces are negative feedback the next three after the first two
are positive and only for those 3 do I get a pos rating. If for any reason you
are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I
will be glad to help you. The deposit you placed when you opened the question
is only a deposit you can then click accept or one of the smile faces, but
again only if you are satisfied and only when you are ready to do so. The
rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason
please reply back and let me know.

Thanks
again for using justanswer / pearl.com and have a great day!

Joe, Technician
Experience: ASE cert tech for over 12 years, Auto, Marine and Home Electronics professional