Steve G., Engineer
Experience:  Vice President of an Electronics Repair Company
329447

What is the best way to record a tv show from my U-verse DVR?

Customer Question

What is the best way to record a tv show from my U-verse DVR? I've tried a few DVD recorders and most of them don't work.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Steve and I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Now...just so that I understand, you are trying to copy a recorded program from your DVR to a DVD recorder of some kind - in oder to make a hard copy of your recorded shows?

Is that correct?

Please let me know so that we can continue.

Regards

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, good.

Can you tell me the make and model of the recorder you tried to use? I also need to know how you were connecting the two. Keep in mind that the more detail you can give me you will speed things up :)

Regards

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was a long time ago and I returned the machine -- can you just show me one on Amazon that will work, I am assuming I would connect it via HDMI

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

No. You will not be able to record using HDMI. This is a requirement of Hollywood to prevent 'near perfect' duplication of digital content. It has to be converted to analog so you would use RCA leads.

I like this Toshiba: http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-DR430-DVD-Player-Recorder/dp/B00ATZEYBW/ref=sr_1_22?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1373563598&sr=1-22

That should work for you.

I'll be here if you need further help with this issue. Please let me know.

Regards

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The last time I looked, however, there were several that would not work with U-verse - how do I know this one will work? I usually only buy Prime items on amazon with a lot of reviews because otherwise returns are harder...let me know, thanks

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

What was the issue with the last one you purchased? Why did it not work?

Regards

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It wouldn't display my channels, I couldn't get my u-verse box to play through it

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Well, I'm not sure why not. Without seeing the arrangement, I have no way of knowing how you had it set up and some of these connections can be complicated.

You should be aware that DVD recorders are going the way of the dodo. They do not record high definition content which is what most of us watch these days. May I ask why you are trying to record to DVD when you already have a DVR?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I want to save shows and back them up because my DVR becomes too full -- the DVD player has to specifically work with U-verse - usually reviewers on amazon will comment about it working with u-verse or not

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Any DVD recorder that has RCA jacks is going to work with the UVerse box. The tuner in the recorder is not going to be able to see and list the channels. You are going to have press play on the DVR and record on the DVD recorder.

The Toshiba I showed you is such a device and should work for you.

Regards

Steve