TV-Tech1
TV-Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years servicing major brands

I have many recorded movies in dish receiver ViP722K and connecting

I have many recorded movies in dish receiver ViP722K and connecting external hard drive. How can I save these movies to PC or external hard drive in order to watch these movie even after I stop the subscription to Dish service? So far, I use DVDs to save but that requires too many DVDs for all 1-2 TB movies. Please help.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Well that's not HOW any DVR functions....not even your Vip 722.

The only way you can actually save movies on your hard drive is to completely fill up the internal hard drive.

Then connect your external. The Dish then recognizes the new drive, formats it, and starts storing on the external drive.

The dish box looks for the hard drive with the most storage space when it records a program.. If the old one has enough storage, it will alterate back and forth between the two drives, storing shows. If the one inside is completely full, it stops storing there, and starts storing on the new drive.

The problem...Dish formats your new drive, so it can only be played back on a Vip 722. I'd be surprised if you connected it to your computer and it actually played back on it.

Proprietary formatting, and alternately recording on DriveXXXXX2 stops people from permanently recording a TV series on an external hard drive. Hollywood wanted that and Dish had to oblige them.

And the formatting...it's not designed to connect to anything but a Dish box.

So, it will alternate shows between the 2 drives until the internal drive gets too full, then it record only on the external drive.

TV-Tech1, Technician
Experience: 30 Years servicing major brands
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
* 06/24 1:55pm-2:14pm
I mean I have full of movies and documentaries in Dish Receivers ViP722K "and" external hard drive. with these two medias or storage devices, I have 1-2 TB saved event programs (meaning movies, news, and documentaries). Are you telling that only way I can save is time-consuming manually transferring process and needs hundreds of blank DVDs to purchase? I have heard that I better buy a video transfer “kit” that includes the cables, converter box, and recording software in one package. What would you say about this?
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Try this, it doesn't state it's for the Vip or any other Dish model, so I don't know if yours will transfer a usable file...but it's worth trying

Step 1

Place the external USB hard drive next to the Dish Network DVR receiver. Plug the appropriate end of the power cord that comes with the external hard drive into the power outlet on the back end of the external USB hard drive. Plug the other end of the power cord into an outlet for power.

Step 2

Insert one end of a USB cable into one of the USB sockets on the back end of the external USB hard drive; if there is only one socket, use this one. Insert the other end of the USB cable into the USB socket on the back panel of the Dish Network DVR receiver.

Step 3

Turn the TV that is connected to the Dish Network DVR receiver on. Turn the external USB hard drive's power switch to the "On" position. Press the "Sel" button at the center of the Dish Network's remote to turn the Dish Network DVR receiver on.

Step 4

Select "Yes," using the Dish Network remote, when the pop-up window appears on the TV screen. Press the "Sel" button.

Step 5

Let the Dish Network DVR receiver format the external USB hard drive for use. Do nothing until the formatting is done and the Dish Network DVR receiver resets itself and the home screen appears on the TV screen.

Step 6

Press the "Menu" button on the Dish Network's remote. Highlight "Multimedia" on the screen and press "Sel." Highlight "USB Storage" on the screen and press "Sel." Highlight "Send to Device" on the screen and press "Sel."

Step 7

Highlight a recording on the "My Recordings" screen that now appears. Press "Sel" to transfer the recording from the internal hard drive to the external USB hard drive. Do nothing until a pop-up window tells you the transfer is done. Press "Sel" to make the pop-up window go away.

Step 8

Press the "DVR" button on the remote to go to a screen of the recordings that are on the hard drive. Highlight the recording that was just transferred to the external USB hard drive. Press "Sel." Highlight "Delete" on the pop-up window that appears and press "Sel" to remove the recording from the internal hard drive.

If the Vip 722 is pretty new, it may perform this. I still can't guarantee that Dish isn't required to play them back.

The Vip 722 has been out for a few years but I found this while looking for options for you. Hard drive to hard drive transfer is going to be faster. I suggest see if this operation is available on yours, then try to play it back on your computer. If we're lucky, it plays. If not...well now you do have to use a Video transfer kit.

Wish you the best of luck on that, but I'm not holding my breath.

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

I see, I thought you were just adding the new drive to the unit to transfer media to the drive then connect it to your computer for playback.

I did mention from the start that you can't save Dish's recordings and play them back on another unit.

However, you are correct about the statement you made. I did re-read it a couple times, and it is written that way.

Pinnacle is a good choice when you plan on doing some serious DVD burning, transfer, editing. You pretty much know it's going to be super-flexible.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Dazzle/Dazzle+Video+Archiving/Dazzle+DVD+Recorder+Plus.htm

It's only $50 for the software and converter.

Best thing to do...get all your favorites off of the portable drive. Once you get them off, reformat it, and transfer your videos over to that unit using Pinnacle.

I have no idea how big your computer's hard drive is, but if you have the space, get the video off of your hard drive 1st and use that as storage instead of burning DVDs.

Then burn DVDs as needed....

Now, we all have our favorites....Some like Roxio, some like Nero...I like Real.

I also like Pinnacle software.

So the choice of what video transfer kit you decide to buy really rests on your experiences and preferences.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
* 3:10am-3:40am
Hi TV Tech1,

Thank you for your response - sorry for my delayed answer since I have been out of town.

(01) Pinnacle is a good choice when you plan on doing some serious DVD burning, transfer, editing. You pretty much know it's going to be super-flexible. --- > I do not know exactly what Pinnacle can help me move the contents in Dish Network related medias (Dish receiver and Dish-reliant external USB hard drive).

(02) It's only $50 for the software and converter. ---- > Could you brief how Pinnacle helps me move the contents (movies) to other media(s)?

(03) Best thing to do...get all your favorites off of the portable drive. Once you get them off, reformat it, and transfer your videos over to that unit using Pinnacle. ---- > I can't understand exactly what you mean this... Sorry! When do you mean by "portable drive" in this case? Is this a DVD disc or external hard drive? I still can't get how Pinnacle can help me move from one to another.

(04) I have no idea how big your computer's hard drive is, but if you have the space, get the video off of your hard drive 1st and use that as storage instead of burning DVDs. ----> When you say "hard drive", are you talking about "internal hard drive" in my PC? No matter how many space of internal hard drive, I think I have to move movies to "normal" (no-Dish-reliant) external USB hard drive. Internal hard drive is to be used only for temporary storage. Correct?

(05) Then burn DVDs as needed.... --- > Yes. I do not like to burn DVDs and save/keep in external hard drive if possible.

(06) So the choice of what video transfer kit you decide to buy really rests on your experiences and preferences. --- > when you say "video transfer kit", Do you know what other choices than Pinnacle? (I do not know well now Pinnacle can help move from Dish NW media(s) to PC (or just normal external hard drive).