Engineer John C., Engineer
Experience:  Expert in Recorders and Players like the popular ROKU. I am Computer Eng. with 10+ years of experience with network devices.
23822421

Roku wants a TV link code from my Panasonic TV.

Customer Question

Roku setup want a TV link code from my Panasonic TV. where do i find that?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for asking your question.

Please click here -----> https://owner.roku.com/link from your computer and enter the link code you receive from the TV

Thank you

John C.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

John C. Your on screen "owner.link etc" just takes me to the same Roku page i have been receiving asking me for my link code from the TV. Can't enter a link code for them if i don't have a link code from the TV. "Round and round the cat chases it's tail". I guess I need to go directly to Roku if I can find out how to do that. If you have any other suggestions, let me know. Tom

OK, then you are not getting the code from the TV? Is this the first time setup of the ROKU ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, not getting code from the TV and yes, first time setup (2 days worth of trying with the same "cant connect to the internet" message on TV screen. I have connected the ethernet cable to my lap top and can get on the internet so i know my router and new ethernet cable works. I am using a new Belkin FastCAT 5e Ethernet HDMl cable from Roku player to the TV set.

OK, please do NOT use the Ethernet cable from the ROKU to the TV.

You ONLY need to connect the ROKU to the TV using a HDMI cable.

Then please follow the steps below from your ROKU:
1- Go to the Settings menu, then click "Network"

2- Then you need to select "repeat guided setup"

3- Select the name of your wireless network.

4- Then if prompted, enter the password ***** your wireless network. That's it!, it should work now. If you get an error message here, probably you have entered the wrong wireless network password. Your wireless network password ***** probably setup by the person that installed your wireless router.

Thank you

John C.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
John, I misspoke. Too many cables. I have an RCA HDMI cable connected from the Roku unit to the TV's HDMI IN port. The ethernet goes from the Roku to the rounter.
OK. So you are connecting the ROKU via wired, not wireless. Then please follow the steps below from your ROKU:

2- Then click Wired

What do you see there now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the TV screen chooses between Wireless and Ethernet (not wired but means the same). i choose Ethernet. Then it goes through three steps- detecting, connecting to local network work with green dots showing but the third, "connecting to the internet" is what goes to the red dot with a new screen of "Can't connect to internet". this is when I plug the same ethernet cable into my laptop and can connect to the internet.
That's weird. Before trying most sophisticated stuff, please try the following first:

1- Turn off your router (and unplug it from the electricity outlet if it does not have a power button) BUT PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (add to favorites) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART.

2- Turn off your internet modem (if you have one) and unplug it from the electricity outlet

3- Turn off your computer(s)

4- Turn off your wireless printer(s) and turn off (unplug) the ROKU

5- Wait 60 seconds

6- Turn them all ON again.

7- Wait 5 minutes (yes, 5 minutes please)

8- Try to connect now from the ROKU. (The ROKU may take a few minutes to restart)

9- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting.

10- Thank you

John C.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will take a little while to do that but that is the basic fix it for computers. Granddaughter doing her Spanish verbs homework on line now (life isn't simple) so need to let her finish. Then will shut down and try to restart according to your outline. Have you bookmarked so thanks, ***** ***** back to you. Might be later tonight or if your gone, tomorrow will work too.
No problem at all, if you need help with Spanish, let me know, I am totally fluid in Spanish and Italian too :-)

Thank you

John C.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
tried to reach you today but I was told you were not available. Worked with Roku people this afternoon and am looking at my download speed. have to reach my ISP tomorrow and perhaps the phone people to see what is up. So, not on line yet. Will get back to you after them.
OK, please follow the steps below:

1- Please click here -----> http://www.speedtest.net/

2- Then click "Begin Test". Do not click any other button or ad. Just click the "Begin Test" button. It must say "BEGIN TEST" exactly

3- Let me know the Ping, "Download speed" and "Upload Speed" results
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Working with Roko last night, they had me do the speedtest and I am running 1.35Mbps download. Miniminum requirement for non-highdef is 1.5. called telephone people this morning and I have 1.5 speed but degrades down to 1.3. can't get any thing higher through them because I live out in the sticks. (lots of trees, deer, elk, bears, birds, mountains, peace, quiet - but no high speed) So now know what the problem is. Will see if I can get higher speed through my DirecTV service.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
John: Looks like I'm SOL on this ROKU device. It takes a minimum of 1.50 Bps and thats the most I can receive but it degrades down to 1.34 which won't let the device communicate with the internet. Looked at different providers like Hughs Network. Their basic is 1.0 Bps with 7.0 Bps for $100 a month. Nothing an individual can afford. And I think I stuck with my $100 ROKU unit plus cost of the HDMI and Ethernet cables. What a joke. :( Don't know what to do with you. But thank you for your help. Tom
Hello, you should be able to watch Netflix with 1.34 mbps as well. You may get a few seconds interruptions once in a while but it should work. So now do you still get the "Can't connect to internet" message ?