Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Barrister, I sued my landlord and got a judgement in my

Customer Question

Hey Barrister,I sued my landlord and got a judgement in my favor! Now I need to collect... I highly doubt he's going to give it to me.How much will you charge to help me collect on a judgment?Best,Ariana
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 days ago.

Hello again and sorry for the delay..

.

You can take the judgment and record it in the local land records office and it will create a lien on any property that the landlord owns if he doesn't pay you. I would notify him that he has XX days to tender the payment for the judgment amount or you will record a judgment lien on any property he owns and then proceed to foreclose and force a sale of the property..

.

If he has any sense he won't want to risk the chance that you actually do hire an attorney to foreclose on his property and have it sold at public auction and will just pay you the judgment..

.

But unfortunately, I am not allowed to represent customers from the site or recommend anyone personally under my agreement with JustAnswer. However, these are a couple sites that we attorneys actually use if we need foreign counsel in a state where we aren't licensed. Further, customers have consistently reported good results with these sites:

.

www.martindale.com

.

www.lawyers.com

.

They screen their attorneys based on geographic location, area of practice, time in practice, cost and customer reviews.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Wow would the lein on property really happen just for $900? Wouldn't it be a...garnish of wages/bank accounts?
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 days ago.

Yep, it doesn't matter how small it is... It will jam up their credit report too as an unpaid judgment and be a lien on every piece of real estate they own in the county where it is recorded.

.

But you can also get a wage garnishment issued from the court clerk if the person actually has a job where they get paid by an employer check. You can levy on bank accounts as well if you get a writ for them from the clerk and know where they bank..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Wow. Damn that's good. Well I have the suspicion that he is going to appeal it. So I'll know in 10 days if I can put in for the lein.
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 days ago.

Yes, and if you make him aware that you know all the ways to collect, including dinging his credit with the lien and wage garnishments, then he may just pay up when the judgment is final..

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ya I let him know 'if he doesn't send me a check within 14 days I will take the next legal action' hopefully that will work. I'll keep you posted
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 days ago.

That should work as he doesn't want to have to deal with liens and wage garnishments..