Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

We are trying to sell our home and have a contract. out of

Customer Question

we are trying to sell our home and have a contract. out of option period closing in two weeks. the buyers wanted to back out two weeks ago and chose not too. then yesterday our agent found out they had made another offer on another home. we want out of this contract with them b/c they obviously are not 100% committed to it. how can we get out?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Midland, TX
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no, when confronted on the other offer they said "oh we were just looking for a house to buy our children ...this is a million dollar home
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I think that is it.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

Unfortunately there is nothing that would legally prevent them from buying as many houses as they could afford so the fact that they put in an offer on another home wouldn't give you legal grounds to terminate your contract.

.

We both know they are lying, but that doesn't legally matter.

.

However, there is nothing that would prevent you from putting the house back on the market and accepting back up offers if you feel the current contract will fall through..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a licensed Realtor for over 15 years...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
ok, thank you.
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 days ago.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time. And believe me, I realize how frustrating it is being jerked around like this...

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the caption and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much